What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lance leaf sundew Problems

My lance leaf sundew is growing but it isnt producing any dews at all on its leafs. I'm growing them in 100% spagaum peat moss in a tray of water with 100% humidity and in partial-full sun. What am I doing wrong?

may be the amount of light...or the soil mix. adelae likes it a bit open. like a 2:1 sand: peat mix.it also dosent like a bunch of light. but i wonder...how is it getting 100% humidity AND that kind of light?
Alex

By "lance leaved sundew" do you mean Drosera capensis? If so, the humidity may be too high, especially if in a terrarium? Sounds like you have enough light but if the plant is enclosed the high temps might have bothered it. High humidity without air circulation also can encourage a fungal attack, which also results in dewlessness. You might try mixing a little silica sand with that pure peat, straight peat can get very compact affecting the roots and may also lead to such a decline. In general Drosera like good humidity, fresh air and sunlight and not too hot. It's never easy to diagnose a problem since many factors can lead to the condition you describe. You might try repotting into a 50/50 mix since repotting is sort of like restarting the computer and may fix whatever ails it. Do you have a photo of your plant? I might be able to tell more with one. Good luck in any regards!

I have a plastic container over it and a tray of water which creates 100% humidity. The sun gives about 2-3 hours of direct sunlight and 2-3 shadded/indirect sunlight due to trees. I dont have any pelite or silica sand so peat will have to do.

From what you guys are saying, should I keep the plant outdoors in the sun with lid or no lid? or bring it inside and grow it by artifical light?

I think she means D. adelae. This is why I don't like common names.

Is that a Drosera adelae or D. capensis? D. adelae have long somewhat pointed leaves with tentacles along almost the whole length. D. capensis has long thin rectangular leaves with a long round petiole.

D. adelae like partial sun (dappled). D. capensis can take full sun.

Pretty sure that he/she means D. adelae.

Forget about humidity when it comes to D. adelae because it's not very important. I have 2 HUGE plants that live on normal room temperature humidity. and they're incredibly dewy and fast growing. Cool temps ARE important however.. mine never gets above 75 degrees. Too much heat will definitely keep it from producing dew, it used to happen to my old one a lot when I had it outside. I keep hearing over and over that humidity often has nothing to do with dew production, but sufficient light does. So there may not be enough light.. but I'd bet that it's more of a heat problem, what are the temps like where you live?

Also, never ever grow a plant outside with a cover on it unless it's very cool, but it's still unnecessary even then. I'm sure there is plenty humidity for it outside without the cover.

I agree with Tamlin on repotting it, but if you lack the supplies then I guess it will have to suffice.

I'd recommend growing your adelae inside on a sunny windowsill or under lights, I can't tell for sure because I don't know what your climate is like.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. I've grown D. adelae in ultra lowland conditions and it was dew-laden. Day's in the 90's for months on end and nights in the 80's didn't bother it at all.

Really?? The first one I ever had was outside in part shade in 85-90 degree weather and I never ever saw it dewy...

The weather here is about 70-90 degree F with at least 40% humidity everyday. So inside or leave outside with no cover?

Inside or out is fine. No need for cover in either location. Morning sun is best, partially shaded or bright indirect sun the rest of the day.

And I am talking about Drosera adelae

These are the exact temperatures at 4 PM which is right now
81°F with 52% Humidity

Last edited by a moderator:
How long have you been growing this plant?

Ok then, take a breath and slow down a bit. Take Not a numbers advice and keep it wet and shaded from the heat of the day. Mine are in an east windowsill and they love it.

The plant is probably still stressed from all the transistions. The older leaves may not produce dew if the glands dried out past a certain point. New leaves usually take a few days to start producing dew.

Often it is hard to see the dew unless the lighting is just right - view the plant from different angles or move the lighting angle - backlighting with a flashlight might surprise you.

Trust me they take time,when I used to live in hawaii it took a month or so to get them growing normally from the stress.
They had a long long time in the mail :)

I think she means D. adelae. This is why I don't like common names.

I didn't see a picture but if the plant was a typical Lowes (cube of death) purchase, it is a D. adelae, and an etiolated one at that. Does its somewhat resemble these D. adelae plantlets?

IMG_0066.jpg

Or the plant way to the left (D. adelae)? Or the plant way to the right (D. capensis) *spellcheck*

Strausplants0211.jpg

Well, like all Drosera the plant is adaptable. In habitat, this is a more "woodland" species, unlike many of the Australian species which grow in much harsher conditions. But it is adaptable, has to be considering what the climate is like in Oz! I've grown the plant in about 40% humidity and in full sun but the process of acclimation needs to be SLOW, especially if it is a greenhouse produced unit as this appears to be. So go for wet, cool and bright and as the plant gets a deeper "suntan" you can give it more direct light.

Growing in a terrarium under lights can produce some real monster sized plants, but they will have less color. Keep it going long enough and you'll have endless plants from the roots where they form, and then you can experiment and see which culture is better for you.

Yeah so basically they want sun in the morning and then dark and cool cause they're from Queensland. :)

Back