What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. gigantea -- summer dormancy

I started some D. gigantea seed last fall. Much to my amazement they actually germinated well and even more astounding grew. It is now the summer and temps are in the 90's F here in Florida. The D. gigantea are still growing?! When do they go into dormancy for the summer. Should I stop watering them? I don't know what to do. I thought that they would stop growing before now but....they seem to have their own ideas about that.???

A few of the plants even have upright branched growth already -- 2 and 3 inches high. I'm thinking I should just let them grow as long as they will. But I don't want them to die because they didn't go dormant like they are supposed to.???

Any thoughts.....

All I know is the longer a tuberous dew grows the bigger the tuber,the bigger the tuber the better survival rate. I would feed the plant on all of it's leafs with choice insects to produce a bigger tuber and try to keep it cool.
But these are just my thoughts and I have yet t sow my peltata seeds.

From what I've heard, tuberous drosera will go dormant whenever they please. Regardless of whether or not it is cool or not. One day you'll just see it start to die and then you'll know it's decided to snooze. I guess if you WANTED to trigger dormancy then you could stop watering it, but I would not recommend it.

Hey Hog,

SOunds very familiar to me. I had a pot of gigantea sitting on my deck here in Atlanta and it grew well into August last year. Best thing to do is to just keep watering it like normal and watch it closely. It'll make the transition eventually but until then just leave it be. NEVER try to force a tuberous into dormancy, that is the best way to kill it

It's a good thing I said "but I would not recommend it." then, huh? Lol...

Okay then. I'll just keep watering it until it decides to do its thing. Thanks everyone.

Back