What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petilolaris plants outside?

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I have a few Petiolaris under a shoplite, in a closet. They are growing, but their temps and light aren't high enough. Can they be put outside? Can they take a 20+ day/night temp differential?

My current temps are mid 70s at night and about 85/90 in the day. and seem to do fine. That's at the low end of what you're asking though, not quite a constant 20f...

April/May I'd say nights were in the 60s with the same daytime high... and that's when they really started growing for me... (from the not growing status in the winter) So I would say it'd be fine. (To be clear, I am referring to a hand full of D. falconeri and a few D. ordensis seedlings that I sprouted last year.(oh and a few D. prolifera too))

I have a few Petiolaris under a shoplite, in a closet. They are growing, but their temps and light aren't high enough. Can they be put outside? Can they take a 20+ day/night temp differential?
Jim,
I believe Maurizio (on CPUK) keeps his petios outside during summer and he has had very good success.

Although they are more forgiving than the others, I stuck 4 D. paradoxa plants outside in a 10 gal aquarium w/ ~1" airspace gaps in glass covering the top (I believe Michael Lu did this in LA). The plants are growing like weeds & loving it. We've had some cool days w/ little sun but they have kept blooming/growing.

Thanks for the guidance. I see a range of 50-100 F. I need to get them from a variance of a few degrees to that of ~20, with lows that can be un the 50's.

Back