What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew Question

I'm still pretty new to this CP thing, but I'm learning. I currently have a D. venusta and I am soon getting a D. capensis. I have read a lot about dormancy periods, but I heard that not all sundews need a dormancy period. Can anyone tell me if these two species need dormancy?

I know for a fact that capensis does not have a dormacy period

Maybe, I think venusta has a winter dormacy

Welcome to TF! I didn't put my venusta through a dormancy, but I'm not sure if it is a requirement.

it depends where you live. I think if its snowy or freezing in your area you can leave it outside during dormancy. D. capensis has a dormancy period, but im not sure about the venusta as I never had one.

You will probably be better at growing CP's than you think. Trust me I never thought I could keep my flytrap alive, but in 2 months that thing went from dead leaf to BIG red leaves.

Neither of them require a dormancy. I have heard that D. capensis is pretty forgiving when it comes to cold temperatures, but I doubt D. venusta will be the same way.

Thanks for all your help! I'm looking forward to learning more here!

it depends where you live. I think if its snowy or freezing in your area you can leave it outside during dormancy. D. capensis has a dormancy period, but im not sure about the venusta as I never had one.

You will probably be better at growing CP's than you think. Trust me I never thought I could keep my flytrap alive, but in 2 months that thing went from dead leaf to BIG red leaves.

Err... you can't grow tropicals in freezing weather like Wisconsin during winter... where'd you get that?

I think you messed up there.

Hey WisconsinBen, I'm in Wisconsin too. I think other people have answered your questions but just so you know there is a few plants that survive our Arctic like winters :).

Definitely will not survive a prolonged freeze. Dormancy for the South African sub-tropicals is usually stress related, the plant is more likely to go dormant in times of drought or excessive heat vs dormancy d/t short day photoperiod.

Back