What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ugh, now what?

My adelae was doing pretty good recently. Then i kept reading the adelae didn't like a whole lot of direct sunlight so i moved it in my window to give it a bit less. So after one day of that i come home and alot of the leaves look brownish. I was like.. hmm.. maybe just the old leaves are turning brown. After all the newest one was still green.

So today after i put it back to where it was the day before to see if things helped, now that one leave is still nice and green, but all the others are getting browner. There is a new leaf coming in and it was about to open up like normal but it has browned now too, so there goes the idea that the old ones were browning. So whats up here? How can even the brand new leaf coming in be screwed? I've been watering the same keeping it damp and such. Only thing that seems to have changed is the lighting but it was only for a day. Could anything else be ailing it?

My adelae was doing pretty good recently. Then i kept reading the adelae didn't like a whole lot of direct sunlight so i moved it in my window to give it a bit less. So after one day of that i come home and alot of the leaves look brownish. I was like.. hmm.. maybe just the old leaves are turning brown. After all the newest one was still green.

So today after i put it back to where it was the day before to see if things helped, now that one leave is still nice and green, but all the others are getting browner. There is a new leaf coming in and it was about to open up like normal but it has browned now too, so there goes the idea that the old ones were browning. So whats up here? How can even the brand new leaf coming in be screwed? I've been watering the same keeping it damp and such. Only thing that seems to have changed is the lighting but it was only for a day. Could anything else be ailing it?

I'd have to guess it was the change in conditions. Where was it before? If it had dewy leaves and was happy there is no need to move it. Moving it to a less sunny windowsill back to wherever it was wasn't the best idea with no acclimation. If it was in a terrarium then the rapid extreme drop of humidity would be a huge problem in this.

~NeciFiX

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

xvart.

Well it wasn't very dewy, that's why i moved it.

My philosophy is... If it ain't broke, fix it until it is. :-))

Well it wasn't very dewy, that's why i moved it.

My philosophy is... If it ain't broke, fix it until it is. :-))

That reminds me of the time when I said to myself "You Can't Always Get What You want but if you try hard you might just find you get what you need". Then I found out that I don't need any CP's to survive or anything so if I try hard all my CP's will die.

Uh oh! Lol. Well, yes, leave it to adjust then. Back and forth is NOT helpful...

Well two days in the usual spot and it's doing bad. All the dew is gone and it's rapidly turning brown. Here is a picture.

pic009.jpg

It's looking pretty ragidy, it's like someone came and poisoned it. I'm using distilled water for it. I don't get it. On a better note, my fly traps are doing great now outside. Just all my sundews are dying inside.

yaric
I have had a very similar burn problem, adelae is very senstitive to any chemicals especially fertilizers, i burned a whole tray of these when fertilizer/insecticide was sprayed in the general area
regards
ed

yaric
adelae will burn easily when it comes in contact or near certain insecticides and almost all fertilizers, that is what it looks like to me, even a chemical drift will do it
regards
ed

Well unless my girlfriend is doing something I have no idea what chemical it could be.

looks like a light burn to me. chemical burns(ill get a pic tomorrow of one) make the tentacle heads black. these looks wited and burned. i say to much light to fast.
Alex

Ya know, now that you mention mites i do see little tiny bugs every once in a while, they're very very small and i'd say a light yellow/brown color. They've been around my plants before and I never really gave them a second thought, but maybe that's what is going on. I'll get a magnifying glass and examine the adelae today.

They could be springtails which are pretty much harmless. Springtails are rather shy and will scurry, hop away when disturbed.

Spider mites are normally on the undersides of the leaves and you need at least 10x magnifier to ID them positively. One test is to put piece of white paper under leaf or two and tap the leaf sharply. If you see tiny dots that are moving around they are probably spider mites.

Well i went and inspected the plant. I looked under one leaf and some small specks and looked under the mag. glass and they were moving some of them. I squashed them all with my finger, then in looking around i found more on tops of leaves too. These didn't look like spider mites though, they were red in color from what i could tell, not yellow. But they were defintley mites. The leaves are a "bronze" as the article says so i'm leaning towards mites. Should i try to get a picture of one of them for a positive ID of the species?

Red spider mites are pretty common. Spider mites come in many colors, yellow, brown, red, black, two-spotted. Drown them for a few days or use a mitecide. I don't know which mitecide to recommend though.

Well I've been attempting to drown the mites. Not really sure how but i've been tipping the plant over and flushing water all over it. Also removing mites by hand. The plant seems to be growing a new leaf or two, hopefully they develop normally and turn green.

Many hard flushes might work.

Or put the potted plant in a large enough container to completely cover the plant with water. Keep the plant and all submerged for a couple of days. This should not cause any lasting harm to the Drosera.

Back