What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do i replant the small adelaes?

My plant has been dying lately if you have been following my threads, but it also has two little sprouts that are doing pretty good. How do you replant those in a different pot? How much root needs to be left on each little sprout? Seem like it'd be tough without screwin em up. I guess maybe i should just wait, but i was thinking maybe i should change out the media the plant is growing in, maybe it's got some fungus growing or somethin.

If they are growing now I'd leaf them alone. Sprouts will always pop up here and there till your pot is full ! Let em go and leave them in a "shadier" spot.

I'd do the same thing too, and remove any dead leaves you're finding. Sometimes I have just one part of my Adelaes die, but the rest of the sprouts will continue to do great.

Nate

My very first D. adelae was dying back but sprouting a couple babies around the pot, similar to what you describe. I just ended cutting the whole plant down to the soil and pretty soon several (several!) plants sprouting up from the roots there. One plant turned into 12 or so. I just let them take over the pot.

When I finally got around to splitting them up I ended up losing some of the smaller ones because: a.) my fingers are too fat to handle anything smaller than a basketball; b.) I have the motor skills of a two year old. If that happens just stick 'em in somewhere and something will sprout.

xvart.

I'd do the same thing too, and remove any dead leaves you're finding. Sometimes I have just one part of my Adelaes die, but the rest of the sprouts will continue to do great.

Nate

Ahhhh Red meat! Love the Avatar! I find adelaes VERY EASY to transplant. Just plop them into a 50/50 mix of peat moss and perlite. Simple and nearly foolproof!

A few months ago I removed two adult plants from the pot and saw that there were numerous plantlets underneath them. I'd approach it that way and let the plantlets develop.

A few months ago I removed two adult plants from the pot and saw that there were numerous plantlets underneath them. I'd approach it that way and let the plantlets develop.

That'll work too! You can't kill these things! I just repotted some babies in an approx. 8"x14" plastic container about 2 inches deep with holes drilled in the bottom. Hope I'm as good at raising the 2 carpensis I just got last month too!

Heck, I've even fried them in the sun and within a week new, green leaves have emerged from their crowns.

Back