What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosophyllum Damage

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
My 5 yr old son shattered both pots of my drosophyllum today (it was slack potted). Any ideas on what the survival chances MIGHT be?
The plant is @ 24 months old, stands about 18" tall and is about 20" in diameter. It even has about 4 off shoots from the stem that were starting to get large. My wife put everything together for me as best she could, I do not know how much root damage there is, but it suffered MUCH root disturbance.
On top of it all, I have to repot it again as it got put into a shallow undrained plastic bowl that is only @ 5" deep and 12" in diameter. It does need deeper root space, right?
Should I simply drill drain holes in the bowl and hope for the best?

Any advice would be helpful....

advice? ummm.... hope!

root disturbance isnt the only thing that can kill a D-pine stem damage can also kill.

i wish you much luck!
Alex

Yeah hope...

What a pot for your kid to knock over... the Drosophyllum pot... times like this I'm happy I'm the youngest in this family >.<.

Keep us posted on how the plant responds.
Best of luck.

Try not to touch the roots no matter what when you're repotting. All you can do is be careful around the roots.

Yeah hope...

What a pot for your kid to knock over... the Drosophyllum pot... times like this I'm happy I'm the youngest in this family >.<.

How about Me !
5 Sibings
2 year old brother,5yearold brother,7 yearold sister and 12 yearold sister :crazy: :-)) :-( :poke:

How about Me !
5 Sibings
2 year old brother,5yearold brother,7 yearold sister and 12 yearold sister :crazy: :-)) :-( :poke:

Then, as demonstrated above, you better watch out for your Drosophyllum pots!

xvart.

Electric fences keep them from my nigerian dwarf goats :)
Really though but I have no greenhouse thus I can't overwinter one.
I do like neps alot so I need a greenhouse with a lock :nono:
SO I'm going to get a setup before winter but I need to hurry !

My 5 yr old son shattered both pots of my drosophyllum today (it was slack potted). Any ideas on what the survival chances MIGHT be?

The plant or the son????

The plant or the son????

LOL!! I must say the thought came to me when I was listeneing to his soft scared voice on my voice mail. But within 10 seconds I realized that it was just him being a 5 year old BOY: destructive. :-O

Remember my reports over the years of the damage he has caused? When he was 3 he had an affinity for my plant tags and "collected most of them one day. Hence, my questions about sarr ID's:
Disaster! (4/16/05)
Diaster! Continued (4/20/05)

When he was 4 he decided that the sarr flower bud were "AWESOME!" he collected many of those through the spring and summer......

Well, this year it is the search for hidden bugs and critters. He is turning everything over to see what is underneath. I guess the weight of a concrete urn with a bowl of water and a 14" Slack pot was more than he expected (and less than I expected...) Lesson learned.

I figure it is like Darwinism on a small scale. Those plants (and critters) that survive HIM deserve to be alive and will likely thrive in normal conditions. He culls the weak and makes the strong even stronger. He does me a great service in this way. :hail:

I wonder what troubles he will bring next year? Any guesses?

Anyway, I was surprised when I went to repot the dewy pine for which my wife had attempted immediate damage control. The entire top 3" of the soil (that was underneath a 1" layer of red lava rock) were completely held together by the roots as was a section about 6"deep and 3"around in the middle of the pot. I found numerous severed roots, but they must have only represented about 10% of total root mass. I was surprised by the amount of roots. With all I had read, I expected there to be a very limited root system not a mass of roots. I have noticed that my plant has survived strong winds where I have kept it. This may have contributed to the mass of surface roots.

The stem seems undamaged, even the 3 side shoots appeared to have been cushioned by the dead leaves.

I put the plant carefully in a slightly larger pot using the original mix (which now includes more lava rock and small shards of clay pot); I dosed it well with a strong Superthrive watering; and, today, I will put that pot into a 16" pot I just got for the Slack pot. I will try to get a shot after I finish the potting.

Sounds like you may "dodged a bullet". Great job with the troubleshoot!

I wonder what troubles he will bring next year? Any guesses?

I am reliving my life has a pre-teen with your son's antics! Let me tell you some of the things I did:

1) I put a raw egg in the microwave. Within 10 seconds I heard a squeeky noise and then there was this explosion, with egg stuff all over the oven.

2) I once put both ends of a bare wire in the outlet. It had a miniature effect akin to "Doc Brown" connecting the Delorean to the bell tower, in Back To The Future.... only with much less success!

3) My dad had a machine shop in the basement and I accidently flipped a toggle swith that got a sander going. Not realizing why it was going I tried to stop the sander with my hand. Needless to say, that approach didn't work and my hand was bloodied.

Be forewarned.....:0o:

Back