What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Stolonifera seeds... and some fungus/mold

I have been trying to grow some D. Stolonifera seeds and have started to have a pretty significant issue with some fungus. I have a sulfur based fungicide which has not harmed my other seedlings, and I used some lightly on the pot.

Well, just a couple weeks later, and the fungus is back, and it seems to absolutly have an attraction to the seeds. On both occasions it seems to go almost exclusivly for seeds. I have caught it both times before it got to many seeds, and this time I gave it a much heavier dose but still in the reccommended range of fungicide.

Currently there is enough of the sulfer fungicide on the surface of the media to be a visible yellowish tinge, which I imagine the seeds proibably arent too fond of. I have been growing the pot in cool places (mainly a basement under lights). Is this much fungicide likely to kill the seeds just as well as the fungus? It is a safer brand 90% elemantal sulfer fungicide.

I plan to microwave the media before I start the other sets of seeds I have, and perhaps put a thin sand layer on top, but anyone know if these seeds have a chance? I knew the conditions for tuberous sundew seeds would be difficult, but it seems that the fungus is kicking my butt in particular.

Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated. At one point, a couple seeds even appeared to be germinating, but Those "roots" I saw may have been fungus. On that thought, I don't suppose anyone knows what the initial germination for these tiny guys looks like in terms of the initial root whether its a fuzzy vs single type root?

I appreciate any comments, Jared.

Hi,
I have had smilier problems in the past with rely tiny seeds this type of mold, it only stays at the suffice attacking every thing that is organic. First of all better air circulation is recommended. Here is what i use that works, it is an old orchid growers trick. Sprinkle the surface or mix in with the media GROUND CINNAMON. Hope this helps.

Regards :-O

Thanks for the idea. I think there is still a chance for these guys, but as with much of this carnivorous plant experimenting, my second attempt will be much better than the first.

I think I'm going to use the cinnamon in combination with a few other ideas i've had/heard to hopefully have a more successful growing attempt shortly.
I had never heard about cinnamon, I find it very interesting that it has anti fungal properties, good tip. The next athletes foot powder, ha.

Watch out though... I tried it on some P. primulifora and it slowed the growth down A LOT. Make it a very very light dusting and re apply it once it looks like it has been absorbed into whatever you are dusting it on.

-J.P.

Camomile tea is supposed to have anti-fungal properties. Many people spray a solution of weak Camomile tea on their seeds.

Finely milled Long Fibered Sphagnum is also reputed to have anti-fungal (Damping off disease in particular) properties.

http://mosserlee.com/products/nodampoff.html

...I had never heard about cinnamon, I find it very interesting that it has anti fungal properties, good tip. The next athletes foot powder, ha.
Cinnamon works best as a treatment for a fungus problem you have. It's not much use as a preventative treatment as the volatile oils that give it its antifungal properties evaporate over time.

So BCK, your basically saying that pre-emptive is not effective do to how the cinnamon works, I will keep that in mind. I have been avoiding hitting fungus pre-emptively in general, as some people have pointed out, you might help create your own resistant strain of the stuff. I would like to avoid that.

Not a Number- I actually used some of that in the mix, I did about 1:1:1 by volume perlite: sphagnum peat moss: Finely milled LFS. I might try doing something like 1:1 /coarse sand: Milled LFS this time.

Ill have to add the tea idea to my list of potential fungicides.

And another note, Ive actually got a small sprout in the mix, I'm hoping its one of the little Stolonifera, time will tell. Like to get some more as well (if it is what I'm hoping, and not some contaminant...)

Thanks for the suggestions

Back