What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pygmy newbie and a few questions

Cindy

Staff member
Hi, I am not very familiar with Pygmies but they seem to do well for me under lights. They are currently in peat/sand mix as well as LFS.

My questions are:
1. Anyone uses LFS with good results? I have another friend whose pygmies are growing in LFS so I tried when I got some D. pygmae seeds.
2. How large should the D. pymaea plants be before I try to stimulate the production of gemmae? My largest puchella hybrid is more than an inch across.
3. Anyone who has tried Tamlin's method of stimulating gemmae production and has experiences to share?
4. They keep flowering. Are seeds viable?
5. If I keep them growing and growing, will they go into dormancy themselves and produce gemmae for me? My growing conditions is 365 days later spring/summer.

Thanks loads!

D. puchella hybrids
pygmies1.jpg

D. pymaea
pygmaea.jpg

pygmaea1.jpg

D. pymaea flowering at 1cm
pygmaea_flower.jpg

My questions are:
1. Anyone uses LFS with good results? I have another friend whose pygmies are growing in LFS so I tried when I got some D. pygmae seeds.
2. How large should the D. pymaea plants be before I try to stimulate the production of gemmae? My largest puchella hybrid is more than an inch across.
3. Anyone who has tried Tamlin's method of stimulating gemmae production and has experiences to share?
4. They keep flowering. Are seeds viable?
5. If I keep them growing and growing, will they go into dormancy themselves and produce gemmae for me? My growing conditions is 365 days later spring/summer.

Looking pretty good, there, Cindy!

1) LFS is a great growing medium, but not so good with pigmy sundews. My D. scorpioides seemed to have been overwhelmed by LFS when the dried material came alive.

D_scorpiodes_Vic_Brown.jpg

2) No need to stimulate gemmae production. They will do so on their own in the fall, after.... Singapore?.... Well, normally, they go through a hot and dry summer and then when it cools down, they produce gemmae. Maybe you will need to simulate autumn?

3) I have given a half-hearted attempt to simulate the hot and dry, but letting them respond to the natural ebb and flow of photoperiod, and treating them like most other CP's, with respect to watering, didn't change the outcome. They stilll flowered and produced gemmae in the fall.

4) From what I have read, nobody has gotten anything from the seeds. Gemmae is the way to go.

5) I can't say for sure, because I live in a temperate climate, but I think you may have to regulate at least the photoperiod.

Here's what window sill light did for them... that and a deluxe camera!

AF003401.jpg

AF003101.jpg

AF002901.jpg

AF002801.jpg

AF002701.jpg

Keep us posted!

Thanks, Bro. Beautiful pygmies you've got there!

1. LFS hardly regenerates here. Either we have got tons of other algae spores floating around or the 365-day late autuum/summer weather here is not conducive for them.

2. Mine are under lights so I might have to either move the pygmies out or adjust the light cycle. It is cooler later on in the year but photoperiod supercedes temperature right?

3. Yup, no seeds. I tried letting a few flower and got nothing. That is why I am trying to stimulate gemmae.

I know one thing, having just moved and putting the whole CP collection outside, temporarily - While my Mexican butterworts, some sundews, and half the bladderworts fried - the pigmy sundews relished the direct sunlight.

Mine get 12 hours of full sun :jester:

Back