What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. paradoxa propagation

Cindy

Staff member
I recently heard from a fellow CPer that he has got some (10-20%) successes propagating D. paradoxa using leaf cuttings.

Anyone here tried it before?

The petsin general are a pain to propogate. Leaf cuttings work some of the time for some of the species and not at all for others.

I know paradoxa falls into the prior group but I have never bothered to try since 1) paradoxa divide readily for me 2) I have more forms of paradoxa than I need so I don't really feel the need to make more and 3) I am lucky enough to know a guy who does TC so I can always get a million from him...

That said, the best results as reported to me seem to be the float method or on LFS/live sphag under lower light conditions.

And I would "swear" that the plants reproduce vegetatively. I kept giving them away and their numbers didn't decrease. Not to mention there were always baby plants in the mix of adult ones.

AR000102.jpg

Okay, this is just showing off a nice colony!

Well, it looks like some people are very successful using leaf cuttings. Homer's has done it well.
So cuttings of this species floating in water seem to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Pyro, Jimscott and Jefforever.

I grew my two plants like Neps. Moist media, no water tray. They ended up larger than most pardoxa plants I see online but...no offshoots. A friend was also growing some but on the water tray. They produce offshoots for him occasionally. I am now increasing the water level slowly and will hope for some in the near future.

Will take some cuttings too when the plants return to full growth...they kind of go to sleep for me once or twice a year. No idea why.

they kind of go to sleep for me once or twice a year. No idea why.

BEcause they are petiolaris and they like to jack with your head LOL

Pyro, but I lost one plant because it went to sleep. It never woke up. :-(

Yeah, they do that. Like I said, they enjoy jacking with your mind.

I recently heard from a fellow CPer that he has got some (10-20%) successes propagating D. paradoxa using leaf cuttings.

Anyone here tried it before?
I think you could say that ... :-D I formerly spent quite a bit of time propagating petios - not quite an exact science???

Here are a few links for your leisure time reading ....

Thanks, Ron. I did have some leisure time today so I read everything.

Once the fellows wake up...:banana2:

Back