What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My decent into madness begins...

BigCarnivourKid

It's been one of dem days
Truly depressing. Just checked my pygmie dews. Scorpioides, occidentalis and nitidula are producing gemmae already. Looks like I'll be harvesting gemmae for another five or six months. Seems like I just finished harvesting the last bunch the other day. Think I'll sit in the corner and pout for a while.

Anybody else's pygmies producing gemmae yet?

no gemmae.....just flowers.....course mine are in a basement with only flourecents for light

I looked at their crowns and I just don't see anything yet. But then again, we have been in essentially a drought and summer temps from the end of May through yesterday. The only thing giving any cues to these plants is the photoperiod. We're still to be in the mid-70's today.

If I could teleport over to Colorado, I'd harvest all of your pygmy gemmae for you.

Nope but there getting 50F drops at night and a very short photoperiod outside. I want mine to produce gemae there big plants whats up ?

how do you harvest your gemmae without destroying the plant? When my pygmys produced gemmae last year I tried the "turn the pot over" method which resulted in the soil sliding right out. I eventually just took the adult plants, uprooted them, rubbed them between my fingers to get the gemmae, then threw the adult plants out.

I coax the gemmae out with a pen. Not pretty nor 100% effective, but I do get some gemmae and don't mess up all of the plants.

Savage garden recommends a moist fingertip or a paintbrush. Or (and this is my crazy idea) put the pot in a 10 gallon terrarium and purposely explode all of the gemmae crowns by showering them with water or something and have all of the gemmae hit the terrarium's side and slide to the bottom. Then just pour them into a bag. Might not work, but it's inventive!

If I could teleport over to Colorado, I'd harvest all of your pygmy gemmae for you.
And I'd let you for a 50/50 split :grin:

how do you harvest your gemmae without destroying the plant? When my pygmys produced gemmae last year I tried the "turn the pot over" method which resulted in the soil sliding right out. I eventually just took the adult plants, uprooted them, rubbed them between my fingers to get the gemmae, then threw the adult plants out.
I use a straw from a Capri Sun or similar straw from one of those drinks you by in a pouch or small box. They're small enough that you don't burst a lung sucking in a bunch of air, but large enough in diameter that scorpiodes gemmae can pass through them. I cut the circular bottom from a coffee filter and use that to cover the end of the straw. The biggest trick is not getting the filter paper all slobbery. That makes it hard to get the gemmae out of it. I also use a toothpick to loosen the gemmae enough to be easy to suck up.

Mini vaccum cleaner with straw attachement ?

I use a straw from a Capri Sun or similar straw from one of those drinks you by in a pouch or small box. They're small enough that you don't burst a lung sucking in a bunch of air, but large enough in diameter that scorpiodes gemmae can pass through them. I cut the circular bottom from a coffee filter and use that to cover the end of the straw. The biggest trick is not getting the filter paper all slobbery. That makes it hard to get the gemmae out of it. I also use a toothpick to loosen the gemmae enough to be easy to suck up.

I just had a flashback to a certain Bugs Bunny episode where BB meets up with a dart blowing savage that he calls, "nature boy". It ends up with "nature boy" swallowing his own dart, along with profuse coughing.

Back