What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1000 cape sundew seeds!

johnnyfrye

I like drosera.
I recently ordered 1000 cape sundew seeds. I want to breed them and sell them. (or maybe grow them in mah ears) What do you think I should do with the rest? Oh, and by the way, should I use sphagnum peat moss/perlite, or sphagnum moss/sand? I''m thinking of making a jungle of sundews.:-D And by the way, is D. aliciae an annual? does it require dormancy?

Wow, you could likely get all you want for free around here... I probably have millions sitting around. They'll grow anywhere you want them to that is a CP media, that's why it is generally considered a weed. Make sure you don't sell them here though haha... I've listed them on my store since it opened, but really I give them away more than anything :)
Andrew

1,000 seeds!!!! :0o: Send them to Ozzy! You could donate them to schools, for science / biology classes.

I recently ordered 1000 cape sundew seeds. I want to breed them and sell them. (or maybe grow them in mah ears) What do you think I should do with the rest? Oh, and by the way, should I use sphagnum peat moss/perlite, or sphagnum moss/sand? I''m thinking of making a jungle of sundews.:-D And by the way, is D. aliciae an annual? does it require dormancy?

You only need one D. capensis seed to reach flowering size and you will have a jungle of them in very short order.

D. aliciae is not a temperate species that I am aware of. I grew mine indoors for about 4 years before I gave it away a couple weeks ago.

Drosera aliciae is a subtropical sundew from South Africa, not far from the same regions that D. capensis grows. They grow year round, no dormancy required.

uproot all the grass in your lawn and plant capensis instead. Or grow as many as you can and put an ad in the newspaper. Get the whole region addicted! OR wait till they all flower and get 100,000 seeds. sell them for 1 cent each and get 1000 dollars! :rookwoot:

a mix of 1/2 sphagnum peat moss to 1/2 sand works very well for most dews, including capensis. Good luck on that sundew jungle, I've considered doing something like that but then got lazy or lost interest.

I did send ozzy a good size clump of D. capensis plants lol they should be flowering about now i'd guess.. Figure a normal zip lock bag Think of the bottom of that filled with seed about 1/4-1/3" in seed. It's a lot.

uproot all the grass in your lawn and plant capensis instead. Or grow as many as you can and put an ad in the newspaper. Get the whole region addicted! OR wait till they all flower and get 100,000 seeds. sell them for 1 cent each and get 1000 dollars! :rookwoot:

a mix of 1/2 sphagnum peat moss to 1/2 sand works very well for most dews, including capensis. Good luck on that sundew jungle, I've considered doing something like that but then got lazy or lost interest.

Your Math is off. It'd be 100 cents = 1 dollar, 100 dollars = 1,000 cents and there is 1,000 D. capensis seeds.

Lol, where would you put them all? Turn your entire backyard into a swamp, then they'll flower, the swamp will grow, the D. capensis will suck you in as you die in their grasp and the entire world becomes D. capensis AND THEY FORM INTO A HUGE MASS LIFE FORM AND KILL US ALL AFTER DIGESTING OUR INTERNAL ORGANS!!!!!!!!

My imagination got the best of me, sorry.

OR wait till they all flower and get 100,000 seeds. sell them for 1 cent each and get 1000 dollars! :rookwoot:

Your Math is off. It'd be 100 cents = 1 dollar, 100 dollars = 1,000 cents and there is 1,000 D. capensis seeds.

He's talking about 100,000 seeds, not 1,000 uhhhhhh is that $1000? :p

:0o:
I did send ozzy a good size clump of D. capensis plants lol they should be flowering about now i'd guess.. Figure a normal zip lock bag Think of the bottom of that filled with seed about 1/4-1/3" in seed. It's a lot.

And of course he turns it into a capensis bog and the neighborhood pets began disappearing....

1000 cents is 10 dollars. 100 would be 10,000 cents. Yeah... MY math is off...

I think there's a lot to be said for putting them all in a 2 inch pot and seeing what happens.

Even if we manage to get all the math correct you will still lose money on shipping at a penny a piece!

xvart.

oh yeah... then just wait another generation and get 1,000,000 seeds and sell them in 10,000 packs of 100 for 1 cent each seed, a dollar per pack. At a penny shipping, you'll get 990,000 cents, which is 9,990 dollars. That's enough to buy a large Nepenthes collection. Or a small one if you want all lingulatas. Or better yet, use all the money to buy more capensis from Andrew's store.

should I put them and the pot in a plastic bag While growing?

Sow in pots with pre wetted peat and perilite.
Place in sun. Wait for a motnh then have tons of seedlings !

Back