What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. lasiantha

Cindy

Staff member
I received the gemmae of this species a couple of weeks back. I have not grown it before so I hope it will be as heat tolerant as D. puchella.

Pics taken on 10 October

lasiantha_gemma.jpg

lasiantha_gemma2.jpg

lasiantha_gemma3.jpg

lasiantha_gemma4.jpg

lasiantha_gemma45.jpg

My favourite gemma of the moment. This fellow is lifted off the media by its own root!
lasiantha_gemma6.jpg

Pics taken today

The gemmae are putting out leaves.
lasiantha.jpg

lasiantha2.jpg

lasiantha3.jpg

lasiantha4.jpg

lasiantha5.jpg

lasiantha7.jpg

Still lifted off the media! :-O
lasiantha6.jpg

Great photos. What media is that? Really coarse sand or small gravel?

Cindy! Where did you get the gemmae? I would kill... I mean injure for that species! Seriously, they're like a deluxe version of D. scorpioides, from the pictures I saw from another hobbyist. I don't think anyone has them in America... or at least advertizing that fact.

Manny,
Thanks! It's coarse sand. About 2-3mm in size. The top layer is coarse sand but the media is 50% peat:50% sand.

Jimscott,
I got it from a friend in Australia. He has them growing on his greenhouse floor! But because most pygmies need cooler temperatures, I am not sure if this will do well for me. D. scorpioides has about the same survival rate in Singapore...nearly zero!

Overmind1632,
Thanks!

Australia is such a cool place for plants and critters! Okay, tell your frind to packae up a bunch of gemmae and rent a sailboat and head west until he or she gets to Central America. Then head north for a thousand miles or so and then.....

It was a pity I contacted him after April which is the gemmae season. He threw the all the extra gemmae onto his greenhouse floor! :0o:

Hey, the inhabitants step on small sundews without realizing it!

Back