What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. adelae plantlets from a leaf

Cindy

Staff member
I have a plant grown in a small porcelin pot which is submerged partially in water. Today when I was about to top up the container with water, I noticed the plantlets.
adelae_offshoots.jpg

adelae_offshoots1.jpg

The portion of leaf was removed and placed on some live sphagnum so that the young plants have a chance to grow out.
adelae_offshoots2.jpg

Hey Cindy, I've never seen flowers like that before on a D. adelae... oh wait - that's your fingernail! Cool.

Looks good. How much of the leaf did you leave? Did you keep so much of the dead leaf just for balance and ease of placement instead of handling and disturbing too small of subjects?

xvart.

I killed of some new adelea but they came back from the roots.

Yeah, great fingernail! :-D

xvart,
I tried to crop the pic to remove my nail but I couldn't because I wanted to show the entire pot. ;) I removed half of the leaf and left the other half on the plant. Not for balance or ease of placement...I didn't think and just cut it. Now that you mentioned it, perhaps unconsciously I kept some portion of leaf with the plantlets in case they needed to re-absorb the nutrients...I would think cutting it too close to the plantlets reduces their chance of survival.

jm82792,
This is a first for me too. Like you said, D. adelae regenerates readily from its roots. Many leaves flopped against the side of the pot and were touching the water but this is the only one that produced plantlets.

Jimscott,
My nails have always been more of a topic should they should be.
Kept bare: How do you keep your nails so clean? Obviously you are not the grower!
Painted: Nice colour! Cool butterfly! Pretty flower! :-))

I like the healthy looking LFS as well! You do have a flair for the artistic... particularly when it comes to the heart-shaped, thawed, frozen bloodworms on the butterworts! :jester:

Jimscott,
This year for Chinese New Year, I had chinese words on the P. 'Sethos'...courtesy of thawed bloodworms again. Auspicious colour: red. :-))

My problem is I can't grow adelea !!
The new sprouts are not dewy what do adelea like ?
They are with my other plants like capensis,binata,
pummilla,primuliflora,nepenthes and others.

May the particular plant is weak? They really aren't that picky, doing fine in a mixture peat, sand, and LGS, right at a window sill.

They have noit been growing,
I have had them for a few months
my nepenthes have grown more than the adeleas
have(I orderd them with adelea).
I have no idea whats up :(
One of them croaked while one is slowely growing but
has not even put out a leaf yet. My babies are okay I will see what happens.

Go with the plantlets! D. adelae is also notorious for "playing 'possum".

Okay,I have one small plantlet so I will see what happens.
I have never grown rosseted drosera other than scorpoides well I have no idea why. I don't even grow spatulata !!!!! I have some seed I am trying of spatulata and some other rosseted species from the icps maybe I will have more luck

Back