What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have a pictcure of what D. filiformis looks like during dormancy?

joossa

Aklys
Hi. Does anyone have a picture of a D. filiformis's hibernaculum during dormancy? ...just curious how it looks like.

Thanks. :)

Thanks. I tried seaching BobZ's site, but there was just too many pictures (much faster this way). :-O

If you had made it to the LACPS meeting, DJ had a few photos of dormant filiformis in the NJ Pine Barrens.

Along with Google BobZ's photo finder is great too:

http://buckeyecarnivores.com/drosera/D_filiformis/D_filiformis_tracyi_hibernaculum.jpg
http://www.sherlock-droserae.com/Up...iliformis_var_tracyi_winter_hibernacula_r.jpg

My NJ Pine Barrens D. filiformis var filiformis has gone dormant, alas I have no digital camera and you'd have to wait until I finish a roll of film and get it developed if you want see what that looks like. I suspect my "Florida Giant" is forming a hibernaculum but it is covered with a pinkish fuzzy fibre that looks like cotton candy and I can't see the growing point. Similar to the fibre in the second photo above.

Hint: On the photofinder let the species page load completely then press control/command-f (find text in page) and enter a search term (e.g. hiber)

Thanks!

I suspect my "Florida Giant" is forming a hibernaculum but it is covered with a pinkish fuzzy fibre that looks like cotton candy and I can't see the growing point. Similar to the fibre in the second photo above.
All the growth points on mine have that too! :)

Here are a couple other shots of hibernacula forming on my D. filiformis plants...

waxy1.JPG

hiber1.JPG

hiber2.JPG

IMG_0090.jpg

For perspective, this one was emerging from dormancy. The first time I saw mine go dormant, it was a black mass of dead leaves. I thought I killed it. But in late winter I saw fresh, greenery emerge from that death.

Back