What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy, dying / dead, or just need more time?

Some time back I had an aphid infestation. I dug up all my woolys, rubbed em underwater in a tank, and left them soaking in a tank for an hour. I repotted everything in sphagnum + perlite and placed them in a terrarium under 16 hours of light daily. 10,000 lux.

Here's a pictoral update of them. I suspect some might be dead, and some might be going into dormancy. All of them sharnk dramatically when I put them in the terrarium under lights.

The lack of air circulation caused many old leaves to grow mouldy and fungal. I've removed those.

Of these, how many do you think have a fighting chance still?

The last one surprisingly perked up. I'm still not sure if that's a kenayelli, or a falconeri paradoxa.The other one of those two is the first image. It's gone I think :(

Your first two photos dont show up..
the the plants in the last two photos (photos 3 and 4) look fine!

Scot

Sorry about that. I think the image hosting server went down. It's fixed now. The top two I'm more concerned about, ,especially the first. I think it looks either dead or dormant.

now ALL your links are dead! :(

Imageshack sucks beyond belief..
even when your photos do work, they always mysteriously disappear after a few months..

In my experience, photobucket is MUCH better..I switched from imageshack to photobucket a year or so ago, after imageshack kept deleting all my photos..
so far, no problems with photobucket at all..

http://photobucket.com

Scot

Adrew provides free image hosting. Why not use his server?

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107220

Talk about stressing your plants - Removing them from the soil, soaking and rubbing them then repotting them. One hour submersion is not going to kill the eggs. Why not just immerse the pot and all for 2 or 3 days as recommended?

For manual removal it would be less stressful to the plants to use a spray bottle set to needle spray and with the help of magifying loupes, tweezers and a small watercolor paint brush spray them off. This is one of Joseph's preferred methods although it usually needs to be repeated a few times after several days to get the next generation of pests.

A two or three day soak should kill any eggs and pupae.

I have used the "Safer Choice" natural pyrethrin pesticide with great success on my Drosera without any visable ill effect. BUT...i have not used it on any of the D. petiolaris complex plants. I always try to remove pests by hand on this species, even though the very wooly forms make it quite difficult.
Joe Clemens also has a great idea of using a small water stream under pressure to do it as well...
Kudos!
Brian.

I'm sorry I have yet to sign up for a photobucket and learn to use it. The same with the alternative NaN posted.

Here's two more imageshack photos, hopefully viewable. I will try for photobucket soon!

Back