What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are these petiolaris hybrids or species as labelled?

Cindy

Staff member
The more petiolaris complex plants I get, the more confused I become. :crazy:

D. petiolaris
petiolaris.jpg

petiolaris1.jpg

D. paradoxa
paradoxa1.jpg

paradoxa.jpg

D. paradoxa
paradoxanoid.jpg

paradoxanoid1.jpg

Could you do whole plant shots?? It would be easier to tell.

Although many families of CP species are in a state of flux / revision (like Sarrs), the Petiolaris complex is probably not as far down the "we've-figured-this-group-out" continuum as the some of the others. D. falconeri & D. caduca seem to have evolved into their own little species niche. For many of the others, the case for being unique is not as strong - imho....

Hi Pyro,
Here are the pics.

D. petiolaris
petiolaris1.jpg

D. paradoxa
paradoxa2.jpg

D. paradoxa
paradoxanoid3.jpg

Much easier, thanks Cindy.

Okay, I would agree with all of them as labeled.

Sorry guys,

But could you tell me how you decide what they are? :)

And they sure are doing well! Strangely, I see no perlite. Admittedly, a lot of them look pretty similar, such as paradoxa and petiolaris. This is when one stares at the pictures in Savage Garden long enough to see differences in leaf thickness and shape of the traps. Get an ordensis... that's wasily distinguishable!

Sorry guys,

But could you tell me how you decide what they are? :)

Years of experience and dozens of clones :p :-))

Actually that is part of it, when you have grown a bunch of them you can tell them by eye for the most part (thought I still can not tell petiolaris from dilatato-petiolaris for the life of me.)

Basically to tell apart the two you have it is the shape of the petiole and how hairy it is. For petiolaris there is a distinct constriction point and the petiole is by and large smooth except at the base. For paradoxa the petiole tapers along its entire length (basically it is a cone) and is fuzzy along its entire length. There are a couple other smaller details but that is the major points for my decision.

Cindy,
Looks like your D. petiolaris may have multiple growth points in there. If so, each can easily become a separate plant .....

Pyro,
Thanks. I'll need to have many more years of experience and dozens of clones before I can tell the difference. I stare at them again and I can't distinguish the features you described. I am poor at Nep hybrids ID so I think this deficiency has spilled over to Drosera. :-))

Ron,
I've already done that. ;)

Another question...does D. petiolaris clump more readily? I see that in my plant but for paradoxa, I see only the rare one or two offshoots.

Cindy,

It'll come with time. Trust me.

By and large petiolaris does clump (thought I have one clone that never has for me.) On the flip side paradoxa does not really clump much but will occasionally throw offshoots.

Back