What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gemmae or New Leaves?

DavyJones

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level
Here are a couple pics of my D. nitidula x ericksoniae I just snapped a little bit ago. Being as I have never seen gemmae before, I can't really tell if these are they or just a bunch of new leaves that will open in the near future. This clump in the middle is a fairly new development, but they look like the might just be regular leaves. This plant has so many of them though... I just don't know what to look for. I really hope they are gemmae though.

Click the Thumbs!

Last edited by a moderator:
If they're flowering then they shouldn't be producing gemmae. Flowers in the spring, gemmae in the fall.

actually looks like the little dormancy pods they make, i dont know much about Drosera seeing as i just started growing them.
what is the temperature and light condition you have it in?
NaN is right about the Gemmae/Flowers though.

its about 70-73 consistently in the room. Humidity between 50% and 70%, bright window + 2 75 watt equiv CFLs. They have been pretty much continuously producing flowers, but I'd really like them to produce gemmae sometime, but I don't feel like reducing the photoperiod. It's much more convenient to just leave them under the lights with all my nepenthes and other drosera.

yeah
i dont know what to tell you then lol.
i only have a D. capensis....well alot of them lol
and i am getting an N. sanguinea (Orange) from Andy here.
and a P. 'Sethos'

leaves. gemmae from this hybrid are really small! :)
Alex

Should they produce gemmae eventually if I just reduce the photoperiod by a few hours, or do I need to modify the temperature as well?

Colder temps and wetter go with the gemmae production.

The typical life cycle for pygmy Drosera in the wild is:

Late spring - flowers
Dormant in the hot dry summer - dying down to a stipule bud
Fall as temperatures drop and rains start - break dormancy and produce gemmae
Winter through spring - leaf growth

A few species that grow in regions with cooler wetter summers don't produce the stipule bud.

In cultivation they usually do not die down to the bud as few people provide them with the hot dry conditions though they seem to do fine.

Those are new leaves that haven't unfurled yet. The gemmae will be very small and look similar to tiny fish scales in size and shape. The gemmae in the center will be green and the older ones on the outside will be a red/burgundy color.

Dnitidulaericksonia.jpg

The typical life cycle for pygmy Drosera in the wild is:

Late spring - flowers
Dormant in the hot dry summer - dying down to a stipule bud
Fall as temperatures drop and rains start - break dormancy and produce gemmae
Winter through spring - leaf growth

A few species that grow in regions with cooler wetter summers don't produce the stipule bud.

In cultivation they usually do not die down to the bud as few people provide them with the hot dry conditions though they seem to do fine.

Oh no! Mine are simultaneously flowering and producing gemmae... They must be sickly.

Oh no! Mine are simultaneously flowering and producing gemmae... They must be sickly.

"The typical life cycle for pygmy Drosera in the wild is
"

Look closely - the flowering plants are not producing gemmae.

And horrors! The ones producing gemmae have leaves - they didn't die down to stipule buds either.

These plants are in cultivation.

LOL, Good one! As Not a Number pointed out, your's aren't growing in the wild so it's not unusual for the plants to be a bit mixed up. You can see that in my pic above. Some plants have gemmae, some don't, and one is flowering (the white blurry thing in the upper right corner of the pic). Your plants look fine to me.

Back