What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stratify in water in the fridge ???

Well what if I took temperate drosera seed put them into R.O. water in a test tube in the fridge to stratify them ? I used peat before but many (most) of the seeds never germinate since they are part of the peat. I'd like to also apply this question to Sarracenia seed..........

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not tried a pure water method of stratification and germination. I've searched for the original post on this method but haven't found it yet.

I used to stratify on a damp paper towel or in a pinch of chopped LFS inside a ziplock bag, The size of most Drosera seeds make this a pain getting the seeds off the paper towel (hint let it dry completely first). With the chopped LFS I'd just spread it seeds and all on the top of the soil.

Now I get those little plastic deli containers with lids - the kind restaurants use for condiments like sauces or chopped peppers, onions etc.

I fill the container less than half way with LFS that I've chopped finely in an old food processor, wet it down and pour and gently press out any excess water. Sprinkle some of the seed on that. Cover it, Label it with date & species etc. Pop it into the fridge for the recommended amount of time for the species.

After that, I take the container out of the fridge add just a touch of water with a gentle spray directed at the wall of the container, cover it back and put it under lights. Once the seeds start to sprout I'll poke holes in the lid with a pin or needle. I'll just grow them in the container until they big enough to repot. The roots come out easily from the chopped LFS or you can just repot the whole "plug" as is. You don't even need to chop the LFS if you are lazy.

Be sure to feed your seedlings once they produce leaves with tentacles. Finely crushed fish food flakes or powdered dried blood worm when they are tiny, flightless fruit flies when big enough.

A couple of links:

Tamlin Dawnstar's Germination Guide
ICPS SeedBank Germination Guide

Refer also to Peter D'Amato's section on Drosera in "The Savage Garden"

I've done the Sarracenia seeds in the cold, water-filled centrifuge thing before. That works. Seeds germinated in about 7-10 days... after placing on media.

Back