What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 days later...

thbjr

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap
I posted a pic of my filiformus at the end of this thread 6 days ago, wondering about dormancy. Well, here it is tonight with dew and 5 new shoots sprouting, 3 of them are clearly visable in the pic. I guess it isn't dormant...:-))

D_+filiformus.JPG

Wakey wakey!

xvart.

It will be dormant when all the leaves turn black and fall off...

Mine is stil not dormant in my cold shed

It's supposed to be dormant right now and awakening in late January / early February. At least that's what my California Sunset did when at a window sill.

Well the shed keeps away hard frosts other than that it is a unheated wood shed with a sky light thats closed............

Just give it time, Josh. If it doesn't go dormant it probably means it may not flower (if mature enough to flower in the first place) next year. Which means you may have to wait a little longer for your filiformis forest :-(

You could still have a filiformis forest (say that ten times quick!). Just cut that sucker up into 50 1-inch cuttings! You'll have more than you can deal with in no time!

Capslock

Capslock, are you serious? I can take leaves and cut them into 1" pieces and just put say 1/2" into some peat to root them? It would look like mini telephone poles or fence post.
Tell me more!!!

So I could cut it up then put it into my warm bright 10 gallon than then give the babies dormancy next year ??? The plant is large so I think I'll tear it if you think thats okay.....

That's how I started mine, a gift from BCK:

D_filiformis.jpg

D_filiformis_California_Sunset.jpg

s_Wed_086.jpg

Back