What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salad without dressing anyone?

Cindy

Staff member
D. schizandra :)
schizndra.jpg

schizndra2.jpg

schizndra1.jpg

schizndra3.jpg

schizndra4.jpg

I feel like I just watched powers of 10. Very nice plant, very nice pictures.

Wow. Outstanding

Well I killed my adelea officially,
I love the sisters but if I can't grow that well I need to try again.
Love the pictures !!!!

When D. adelea is "dead" it usually comes back.... with a vengeance!

Wowzer! Lemme be th first to pour on the Bleu Cheese! :-))

How do you grow D. schizandra in singapore?
I heard that it prefers cool temps. My summer conditions are similar to your conditions year-round, But my winter temps are a bit cooler(my house has central heating). I've always wanted to try one of these.

Ooooooooooh... I LOVE D. Schizandra. Definitely one of my favorite carnivrorous plants. I keep mine in a Mini-terrarium on a shady shelf in my room. He is doing pretty well, actually. Yours looks awesomeness!

Hi Slurm,

Good question 'cos I don't know the answer either. I got it four months ago as a 4" plant. Now it is 6" across. Inbetween, I fried a leaf...burnt a growing tip...but finally got it producing nice large and dewy leaves. The set-up is very unglamourous though. A plastic fish tank and clear cling wrap at the top. I am thinking of getting those seed propagator with a dome shape cover. At least, it won't mar the beauty of the plant as much.

My experience with it so far.
1. It just needs very low light. It is now under the rack with florescent lights, with only enough light to see the dew on the leaf. More light and the leaves become light green, very low light and they are darker green. Seems that they hate strong light...I fried a leaf when I tried to up the intensity of light.

2. It was in the wine cooler for a while. But I stopped doing that since the weather turned cool and mainly because I was too lazy and busy to ferry it in and out of the balcony. The latest two leaves were formed without additional cooling. Not bad for a highland sundew.

This may be of interest to some of you. I am in lowland conditions, cool weather now for us is 78F lowest, 84F highest. I am not sure how this species will go when the temperatures go up. But I sure hope I don't lose this salad of mine.

This is a fascinating Sundew. By the look of the leaf it looks like it might be one of the most prehistoric of the Sundews. It looks like a "normal" plant that is barely carnivorous.

Manny,
I was asked if I crossed a Streptocarpus with a sundew. :-))

I have adelae multiple plants it does great for me I also just got prolifera and iuts doing well I cant wait unitl its larger and starts sending out runners. I am not going to try schizandra cause I heard it is finnciky and I dont really care for its look. but its nice that there are some people who grow it.

Back