What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sundews transplanted, HELP!

johnnyfrye

I like drosera.
Recently, I transplanted D. hamiltonii, D. capillaris, D. alicae, and D. spatulata into a large basket-like plastic pot with about 3 inches of medium in it. (this was so they could form clumps from their roots) The hamiltonii transplanting did not go too well, and I was wondering if he is going to be ok. Can hamiltonii stand up to rough transplanting? His roots were longer than the pot was deep, so the roots had to be bent in an "L" shape. I dont want to retransplant him becouse it could just worsen his already bad condition. WILL HE BE OK?!!?!? Is 3 inches of soil enough for most rosetted sundews? Is it OK for the roots of a CP to be bended in an L shape? :-( ??? :down: :sorry: :cry: :headwall: :headwall:

His roots were longer than the pot was deep, so the roots had to be bent in an "L" shape.

You definitely need a bigger pot. The roots grow down for a reason so even if it is okay for the roots to grow in an "L" shape they will still hit the bottom of the pot with nowhere to go.

xvart.

I have grown drosera in 4.75 inch bog planter nothing bad but 3 inches is only good for babies or mexican pinguicula (with carefull watering)
Now if you can I'd move them into a larger pot and treat them really nicely.

I just moved him into a 10 inch pot. That should do it. Now I'll just wait for them to recover from 2 transplantings. Man I get freaked out when I get worried about my CPs. Thanks for the help guys.

They will be fine. They survive hard rains, animals running over them, etc. etc. in the wild. The mindset that plants are delicate china is completely unfounded and unfortunately propagated quickly and easily.

xvart.

You'll have to wait it out. Don't do amy more tweaking. everybody's situation (and plants) are unique and while there are tendencies (like don't uproot a pigmy sundew!) your plant(s) may be weaker (or stronger) than someone else's.

Back