What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Holiday Present

Well, last week my D. adelae started blooming! An unexpected treat. I also noticed an odd occurence. I photographed the first stalk under macro to share... The very first flower is half-white and half-red! The rest are the more typical red.

This is the first time my particular drosera has bloomed. I post the photo because of the phenomena I've heard of where 'white' drosera suddenly turn red. Personally, my theory is that the color has something to with something subtle either in the enviroment, or the age and/or life stage of the plant itself.

drosera adelae blossom 12-24-07.JPG

Pretty :D
I think there are 2 flowers form like white and theres red not %100 though

My D. adelae never blooms.

My D. prolifera, on the other hand, blooms so profusely that it stresses the plant half to death. In D. prolifera, offsets are produced at the end of flower stems, so I don't remove the flower stalks.

I know the traditional wisdom holds that there are two forms; white and red. However I have heard quite often that folks say their 'white form' has turned red over time, or when placed in proximity to 'red form' plants. I have to wonder under those circumstances whether there truly are two forms, or if it is an issue of environment or somesuch.

Very good capturing of the flowers! Welcome back!

My adelae bloomed but the flowers never opened and eventually died. Oh well. I think it was because I repotted him right when he was sending oup his flower stalk. But anyway, awesome flowers!!

According to Peter D'Amato for a long time there were only white flowers in cultivation. Then a red form showed up in cultivation which some people thought might be a seperate species due to percieved difference in the flower structure. After the red forms entered cultivation the white forms started turning red over time. The white form is somewhat rare these days.

I'd be inclined to suspect a virus or something as happened with streaked or multiculored tulips.

Drosera adelae certainly has some of the prettiest flowers.

A virus? Interesting... Something to think on! Hi Jim! Thanks for the welcome back!

Well when I can I want to try t grow the wonderfull adelea :D.
when I can convince my dad to let me light a 10 gallon tank like dionea M

Back