What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OH NO!!!! MARICLEGROW! HELP!

johnnyfrye

I like drosera.
:crap: ARG!! I just realized I accidentally potted my alicae, admiribilis, burmannii, hamiltonii, slackii, more alicae, and spatulata "frazier island" IN A MIX OF MILLED SPHAGNUM AND MARICLEGROW PERLITE!!! But the strange thing is, They have been in there for weeks and have been doing fine, except for the alicae and hamiltonii. I think this is because thier roots are deeper, but I am not sure. :-( But I'm not sure I want to repot them! WILL THEY BE OK?!?!!? WAA!!! HELP!!! OH NO!!!

Just repot them. No big deal.

I would repot them..just to be safe.

when CPs die because of fertilizer, its not like they instantly wither over a few hours.
it can take weeks, months, even a full year, of a slow decline..

just because they seem fine right now, doesn't mean they are..

time to repot!

Scot

Yes, not immediately life threatening but not something you want to leave as is. See Barry Rice's FAQ

Q: I goofed by using bad soil or water. What should I do now?

Avoid the "Miracle-Gro" brands. The "Scott's" brand (MiracleGro is made by Scott's) should be fertilizer free. Read the back of bag. The "Scott's" brand should say "100% Sphagnum Peat Moss" or "100% Perlite". If it doesn't say "100%" don't buy it for your CPs.

I just stumbled across one of the West Coast distributors and they no longer have the "Scott's" Peat Moss and Perlite listed, just the Miracle-Gro. Either Scott's is no longer selling it without fertilizer or this distributor decided only to carry the Miracle-Gro stuff. Either way that would explain why the "Scott's" fertilizer free stuff can't be found on the West Coast.

Ok, I just repotted them in pure milled sphagnum. (the only stuff I have right now)

buy the large bales they last me forever

Speaking of bales, yah they last a looooong time. I had a nursery go out of business near me. Two of those honkin huge bales (im talking about the only 1 person can carry size) $5 a PIECE!

i think ive been on one bale of longfiber sphagnum for more than a year!

You know I was just cleaning up my plant stuff and came across an old bag of Miracle-Grow Sphagnum Peat Moss enriched with "Miracle-Gro Liquid Plant Food".

On the back of the bag it says it has Sphagnum Peat Moss, and 0.05-0.02-0.04. That's the NPK addition. If I'm not mistaken, this sounds like basically nothing. (someone correct me if I'm wrong) But I wouldn't bother repotting.

-Nate

wouldt that little fertilizer leach out of the soil anyway?
I mean heck just flush the pots out.

Back