What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata Seed Photos

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
I was curious if anyone has ever come across a page showing D. binata seed germination in magnified detail?

I'm watching my cultures germinate, and it's been really interesting so far (1 week in). I have a 20x eye magnifier, and it's amazing the detail I can make out.

D. binata seeds remind me of bow-ties, here is a picture of them:
http://www.honda-e.com/A04_Seed%20Library/PHOTO_JPEG/D_binataNew.jpg

Recently, I can see that the bow tie is coloring, the left side is turning green while the right remains brown, the seed is a different shade of brown that sits in the middle. It seems that there is a black dot that sits on the left (green area) side of the seed. The dots seem to be new, but not sure.

I'm just wondering if anyone has come across any kind of reference I can read that would show me the different stages the seed is going through. Even if it's not D. binata, any reference I'm sure would be informative for me.

Thanks!
Nathan

Last edited by a moderator:
Ack why does knowledge have to cost so much? $280? Ugg already dumped that 280 into accounting, and business law books.

maybe you could take pics of D. binata seed germination in magnified detail then you could post about it
do you have a good macro camera?

In cae you get tired of trying for seed, leaf cuttings are fun:

IMG_0014.jpg

I love D. binata leaf floatings(whatever you call them) just throw them in a jar put them in Nepenthes light then forget them wokrs well for many species. Now I may just order a ton of centerfuge tubes from ebay then I can mass propogate al of my Drosera I have tht take well..
I have everything for tc I should go onto ebay for a cheapo non explosive pressure cooker

You don't need fancy centrifuge tubes. Any enclosed vessel will work.

I'm interested in doing this.. how does it work? What do I do, just take some cuttings of a few of my sundews and stick them in an airtight container with clean water and put them under light? Does it work with the rosetted species also?

They're just suspended in there. Some sundews work well and some don't. The best are D. binata and D. filiformis leaves.

Use things like plastic water bottles, jars with lids, tupperwares (bet you can fit a bunch in them).... anything watertight and clear. Anything you'd ordinarily recycle.

Back