What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new collection of dews

New pics as of 1/26/08

DSC08120.jpg

DSC08121.jpg

DSC08122.jpg

DSC08123.jpg

DSC08124.jpg

DSC08125.jpg

While there have been some discussions about typical Drosera growing in straight peat, it may be in your best interest to add some other material to your potting soil to make it more airy (perlite is fairly common among most growers).

Give them lots of light, too. Where are they growing? Under lights or by a window? Or outside?

xvart.

I got them under lights. I'll have to add perlite in the future when I repot everything.

How are you watering them? Are they on the tray method?

xvart.

There are no holes in the containers. I just feel the soil and see if it needs to be watered. I couldn't find any 3-4 inch pots local. I need to order some online.

if you're taking the undrained route, make sure your water's pure as can be, or else salts can accumulate over time.

I'm using distilled water. I have no way of testing water right now. Sorry for the lack of info.

I'd use perilite since they will eventually be sulkish....

Nice collection of Drosera! The Drosera adelae will probably not need as much light as most of the other species you have. You'll just have to see how it responds to the conditions you have and adjust accordingly.

I'd switch the D. adelae to straight LFS or LFS and perlite. I've never been able to grow it well in anything other than that.

Unfortunately I went through 10 cities and 30 stores to just find this Sphagnum peat moss.

I have some LFS growing around some of my other dews. I guess if it grows fast I can use some for around the adalae.

I was told I didn't need perlite. Also keep in mind everyone has different growing conditions/methods. I'm keep these as they were kept before I received them.

Oh ya keep in mind I couldn't find 3-4 inch pots at any stores either. Everything is out of season. I need to order some pots and when I do that maybe I'll add perlite to all my plants. Until then I don't want to keep disturbing them.

In picture 2 you see that middle clump. I was told to split that up yesterday and got about 15-20 little plants. they already look healthier than before. I didn't realize it was a bunch. I thought they grew in clumps and spread over the top of the container.

I also did the same for another of of my species and that split into about 6-10 more plants. I didn't realize cause the soil on the roots was so tightly compressed din shipping. So I left them as is not to rip the roots.

Well thanks for the tips guys. I was planning to expand my collection but since I can't even give these good conditions I'll just stick to them and see what happens.

I'd switch the D. adelae to straight LFS or LFS and perlite. I've never been able to grow it well in anything other than that.

Hmm...

That's a good theory Clint.

While my D.adelae survives, it does not THRIVE. I wonder if the peat&perlite mix is less than what it enjoys? Seems like I had my very first Lowe's D.adelae in pure LFS and it was not any healthy either...

Would a "rocky" ping mix work with D.adelae I wonder?

really :0o: I have mine growing in 50/50 peat moss perlite
compile25.jpg

compile24.jpg

peat moss and perlite is fine especially if you are just starting a collection you dont have much live sphagnum.
do get some perlite though as sooon as possible.

glad to see you seperated some of those plants now just go get a couple bags of perlite
chek lowes they should ahve it in a hiuge bag for like 12$

Back