What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water filter dilemna

• Thread starter johnnyfrye
  • Start date

johnnyfrye

I like drosera.
I read on a website that Britta™ and Pur™ water filters do not remove the minerals and salts that CPs hate. I just realized that the water filter my parents installed is a Pur™ filter! Does anyone else use Pur™ filters and not have thier plants all die? Thanks,

-Johnny

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoroughly flush all your pots with distilled water several times. They will be fine. By flushing all the pots with distilled water (so that it runs out the bottom) you will wash the minerals and "bad stuff" out. The problem is when there is a build up of those impurities in the soil.

How long have you been watering with that water? It shouldn't be a problem.

xvart.

I read on a website that Britta™ and Pur™ water filters do not remove the minerals and salts that CPs hate. I just realized that the water filter my parents installed is a Pur™ filter! Does anyone else use Pur™ filters and not have thier plants all die? Thanks,

-Johnny
Thanks for warning me! When I run out of disstilled water I use Britta. My waters not that bad but I ussually tend to avoid it due to unnescasary chlorine.

The strange thing is, I've been using it for 3 months now, and non of them have died or evenn declined. (Except an Adelae who is flowering) Also my mom just told me we have a house filter then a Pur™ filter. I still might want to use distilled though.

Actually I think the tap water in some parts of Ventura Co. may be ok once you remove the chlorine. Check with other CP growers in your area or ask the Utility Co. for their latest water analysis for your area.

nah they dont a RO filter would be a good investment if you buy your water.

I seem to recall one of the LACPS members saying they've used tap water for years at one of the meetings - I believe they are from Ventura Co, CA. But I could be wrong. That's why you should check.

I use the britas fomr my well the well water tastes minerally and after the britta it is bland.
I use it since my parents driveme crazy about me getting "Special" water you need "Special" water mostly my dad though and he is not here so i'll fluh them out

Many areas of California have water that is good - considering it's tap water. I'd still flush them out with distilled as much as possible, especially dews. The brita-type filters aren't really effective in reducing minerals - but it's still better than nothing.

Casplock

I use tap water without any problems and I live not too far south of you, so there is a possibility your water is safe to use.

If you use not hot but warmish water rather than cold it will do an even better flushing by helping things dissolve more quickly.

Malibu is about 30 minutes from me, I'm in thousand oaks right near Nepenthesmatt. He buys distilled water now, because his RO filter is not working and his house is getting remodeled. But he said he normally uses RO water. I think it will be OK because I have a house filter and an RO filter and it's Pur not Britta, (I think Britta is worse) and I've been watering my entire collection of CPs for 3 months and they are all fine and because Max said his TAP water is ok. If his Tap water is ok then my House filter plus RO filter should be OK. The only plant that I am noticing decline in is my D. Adelae, but this may be because he is flowering or maybe I potted him in Miracle-Gro. It's strange because my other Adelae is fine. From now on I'll let my water sit 24 hours before watering and warm it up a bit.

How long have you been watering with that water? It shouldn't be a problem.

xvart.

3 months. And no problems except with the adelae.

I may for my large tank use ro water I am not sure about that since pots and terrriums are different.

Back