What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. adelae Hackjob?

DavyJones

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level
What would the possible outcomes be of just cutting off the top of a D. Adela and leaving it as a stump? Has anybody done this before?

I have multiple plants. The one is question is making some babies under its leaves. The plant seems to be doing what I've seen other people describe as just sort of not getting any dew or growing very quickly, just kind of being there. I'm not worried as I have other ones, just thought of an experiment maybe?

It will sprout several plants from the roots. It will make a mess of the pot with leaves everwhere. I did this with the first D. adelae I got from Lowes.

xvart.

yes it will send runners throughout the soil.I started with three tiny sickly adelae and now I have like 6 pots with several plants in each pot in my opinion adelae is worse than capensis.

Reminds me of 10th grade Biology class! We had to take a Planarian and cut it into 3 pieces. The goal was to illustrate that a simple life form has the capacity to regenerate tissue and produce 3 new Planaria All 3 of mine just plain died. Talk about a "hack job".......

The goal was to illustrate that a simple life form has the capacity to regenerate tissue and produce 3 new Planaria All 3 of mine just plain died.

Awwwwe.... Poor little jimscott! How sad. At least it didn't scare you away from the hobby.

xvart.

Hmm ya my adalae seem to be at a stand still. No dew or nothing. And the curled tip been the same for a week or so. Inside its brown/black so I know the tip must be dead or something. Should I just cut it off?

I did it! Lets see what happens.

One of my Adelaes if producing these weird sickly leaves with no dew on them. They are thin and narrow and very weird looking. Does anyone know what is happening to it? I'm considering cutting the top off like DaveyJones did.

Exactly what mine are doing johnny. I was thinking it was my setup and lack of humidity. How's your humidity situation? From what I hear adalae like it more moist than bright like other dews.

Exactly what mine are doing johnny. I was thinking it was my setup and lack of humidity. How's your humidity situation? From what I hear adalae like it more moist than bright like other dews.

I doubt you can have a Adalae too much light on an indoor setup without using very high output lighting. (4 florescent bulbs would not be too bright) The less light you give it the wider and fatter the leaf gets. The higher lighting the more narrow sword like appearance it will get. No dew is probably from poor lighting & low humidity, not from too much light.

What are the temps like? I now my adeleas sulk when they get warm. When it gets cooler during the winter months they explode with growth and are full of dew. I do not knwo at what temp that happens though. I just notice the difference in the two times of the year.

They are hard to kill though in my experience. Have them growing all over the place!

I killed mine :D
From stress or smething ....

I wasn't really complaining about my plants not growing, I just was wondering if I could chop it off and have it not die.

That explains it! My Adelae has had good lighting, high humidity, and high temps. I can't find a way to cool it down though...

Back