What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tuberous Drosera seed question:

Fryster

--Freedom Czar--
I've had these tuberous Drosera seeds in my 'fridge since June '07:

D.peltata
D.auriculata
D.menziesii
D.erythrorhiza
D.stolonifera
D.gigantean

Due to a lengthy illness last summer/fall I was unable to sow them in a timely manner.

So, would this coming Spring be a good time to start them or wait until this coming Fall of '08?? They're already getting old and losing viability I suppose…

I guess it doesn't really matter, I'll probably kill the seedlings with damp-off anyway… :cry:

THANKS.

i planted mine in April i believe.....plant them now.....sometimes takes a year or so for germination....might as well get them started now

Took a year (almost) for my peltata to germinate(think it is peltata dead sure almost)
Now I am taking the pot from the light closet to my dank windowsill to keep it in the winter photoperiode and coolness

Fryster, I had some D. cistiflora seeds that I found in my fridge last year. They'd been in there 13 months. I placed them in a small deli container filled with a bit of water on July 28th. As they sprouted I picked them out. So far, I've got 16 seedlings with another possible one out of 50 seeds. You might as well plant them now and hope for the best. The longer you wait, the less germination you'll get. I'm still picking the occasional seedling out 6 months later.

I agree, sow them now. Worst case you just have to dry the pots out for summer and return them to water come fall. Took me 3 years to germinate D. ramellosa so be ready for a long haul.

That said I have seed grown peltata that I started last year at this time and they have yet to go down...

Okay.

Yeah, I might as well sow them now. I have like 30-40 seeds of each species.

I just wonder if any of them need a treatment first. I have some GA3 powder if necessary...

Don't bother with the GA3, it won't help. Best thing to do to aid germination is to lightly spray or top water every couple days. This will leach the germination inhibitors from the seeds. Still might take time though. Just be patient

Back