What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! A disease!!

johnnyfrye

I like drosera.
A strange disease is killing my capensis seedlings. While this is not so bad, I really don't want it to spread to other, more important seedlings or plants. Is there any way to stop this?? The leaves just turn brown and die very quickly. I flushed them all with distilled water, and gave them humidity, and light, but still it doesnt help.. Does anyone know what this is or how to stop it? Thanks!

Here it has killed almost the entire pot.
img_0483.jpg

Here it is just barely starting.
img_0484.jpg

-Johnny

scary...... sorry, but i cant help you. i dont have any knowledge on disease ><. wish you luck though.

Isolate the pot(s) from the rest of your plants.

Drosera trinervia seedlings don't like a lot of dampness and will die off if kept too wet. These grow pretty much in the same areas as D. capensis so maybe you're overwatering them.

D. capensis can sometimes go from seedling to flowering plant in one growing season so even if only one survives you may still have dozens of seedlings by year end.

some physan 20 or other disinfectant should do the trick... even if it kills the capensis, they'll come back from the roots if the disease didn't destroy those too... one time I let a pot of very small capensis seedlings dry and all died except a few. Now, months later, I have little seedlings popping up among the few that survived the "drought."

Probably some kind of fungus..
looks like you are keeping the pots far too wet..
looks like the surface has been so wet you have some slime molds growing.

always water from the bottom, (via "the tray method")
and never pour new water on the top of the plants.
that will keep the surface as dry as possible, and the plant leaves dry, minimizing fungus,
while still providing enough moisiture to the roots.

Scot

Hmmm.... maybe you're right scottychaos, I have been watering from top often. I should stop doing that with my Drosera.

Back