What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. linearis seeds

Anybody grow these from seed before? I recently received some linearis seeds and was wondering if it is really necessary to stratify them in the fridge for 4 weeks, then in the freezer for 4 months, and then back in the fridge for another 4 weeks? I would like to have these guys ready to go by late April or early May. Any advice?

I have not had any personal experience with D. linearis, but the normal process of cold stratification only requires a max of 6 weeks (depending on how fresh the seed is) in the fridge (around 36-40 degrees F) on top of the prefered media (CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG). I have never heard of freezing them like you described, but that would be interesting to experiment with some of the temperates to see how that would effect their germination rate.

D. liniaris(like arcturi) are extremely hard to cultivate. they NEED frigid almost freezing temps in the winter and cool temps in the summer. i dont know about the seed. but i think just a longer stratification period thatn others(like 8 weeks or so) would be fine. i wouldnt freeze them.

Alex

As noted before this is a notoriously difficult species to grow. It is found in the northern end of the US and through Canada up through the tundra. They seem to prefer marl fens but alkalinity does not seem to make much of a difference in cultivation. See this distribution map.

Cultivation tips on these are sparse as very few people grow them. Most give up after 1 or 2 growing seasons if they get that far.

An eight week stratification would be probably be in order. Some recommend a brief period of temperatures below 32-30F.

Some growers recommend freezing the dormant plants into ice cubes to prevent fungus growth.

And mybe adding a small amount of sulfur to the ice cubes

Yeah, and I guess one could try gibberellic acid treatment instead of stratification.

O.k., Thanks people. Thats pretty much what I wanted to hear. I guess all I can do is give it a whirl and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Back