What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petiolaris in self watering action

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
I just thought these two pics were a great example of how the petiolaris group do what they do. It is one thing to hear how the hairs are used to accumulate moisture for the plants to survive but it is a whole other thing to actually see it. The plants are not sprayed or misted or top watered. All the water you see beaded on them is the result of accumulation of moisture out of the humid air

P2280005.jpg

P2280006.jpg

Could you share your growing conditions for these plants?

Thanks!
Nathan

wow must be some humid place :D

Thanks for the link!

Where do you typically have your water level sit? Is it juuuust touching the bottom of the pot? Or do you tend to go between that and 1/4"? I'm looking into redoing my dew setup, so I'm pretty curious.

Thanks!
Nathan

I fill the reservoir till the water level is such that the pots sit in about 3cm of water, then I wait till the water level is about 1cm below the pots before adding more.

So if the petiolaris group collects water on the upper surface of their leaves, how do they absorb it??

Does it eventually trickle down into the center of the plant and thus into the soil for its roots?

Exactly Fryster. The moisture accumulates on the hairs and then it either rolls into the center of the plant and down tot he base or the weight of the droplet becomes too much and gravity pulls it down tot he soil right next to the plant.

That's pretty cool. Almost as cool as its carnivorous ability. ;)

Agreed, very cool - thanks for sharing

Back