What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

drosera filiformis florida giant question

i received a dormant drosera filiformis florida giant last saturday. I planted it in 1 half peat, 1 half perlite and it was doing great. Unfortunately, last night was cold, below freezing and today the parts of the bulb turned black. Any chance it'll still come out of dormancy when it warms up.???

If it was already dormant, it should not be too much of a problem. You will notice new green tentacles growing from the hibernaculum once temp and photoperiod begin to increase.

Mine were beginning to throw out new, tiny tentacles, but then we had a frost (about 28F) and most turned black including parts of the premature ones stuck on the hibernaculum and died. Just about a week later, the plant threw out some more new growth. Filiformis is very hardy and robust.

Those thing make me mad mine was dormant and everything was great then the bud rotted even in a very dry condition with other dormant CPs

I have D. filiformis freeze twice. Once was in the infamous October storm. Those plants froze to death. And last week my kid opened the window and all my trays were frozen. Those plants mostly lived, including the filiformis. Time will tell.... but there's hope. whatever you do, don't move them to where there will be a drastic change in temps. They need to thaw gradually.

I have d. filiformis freeze twice. Once was in the infamous October storm. Those plants froze to death. And last week my kid opened the window and all my trays were frozen. Those plants mostly lived, including the filiformis. Time will tell.... but there's hope. whatever you do, don't move them to where there will be a drastic change in temps. They need to thaw gradually.

My plant didn't turn into an ice cube, the temperatures just dropped from 50F to about 20F for a night and it turned black. I just checked on it and it looks worst than yesterday. I don't think it's going to magically spring back to life:-(

You'll have to wait it out for a week or so to see if new growth appears or not.

It may come back from the roots... My filiformis tracyi and filiformis filiformis both froze this winter and are fine. My D. binata froze and I thought it was dead, but it seems to be coming back from the roots now.

Well, it's safe to say that it's dead. Yesterday, my grandma took the pot with my drosera filiformis florida giant, threw away the hibernaculum, and in it's place put an onion bulb. That's the third time she replaced one of my plants with onion bulbs:headwall:. First it was my bhut jolokia seedlings, then my habanero seedlings, now my sundew:-(

A hibernaculum? That's living material! Dig it out and suggest not meddling with your hobby!

I did. All 3 times i told her that those were my plants that i was trying to grow. She felt bad about it, but she keeps doing it.

Next time have her sit down to a video of "Little shop Of Horrors"!

Mine got crown mold/fungus then died :(

Friday, drop me your addy via PM and I'll get you a spare or three that I have laying around the bog

I am still learning of course, but isn't the Florida variety not as hardy when it comes to cooler weather? I'll be growing my Florida Giant indoors under lots of T12 lighting. Friday, I'm sure you'll have a healthy, growing filiformis in no time. Keep us updated.

The FL giant form of filiformis ssp filiformis seems to be as robust as the more northerly forms. I think you are thinking of ssp. tracyi which is not as tolerant of deep freezes but still can take -12C for a couple days (at least the ones in my bog can...)

D.filformis var. tracyii doesn't live up here in Canada too well, if you leave it outside.

D.filiformis ssp. filiformis is (as I've posted many times here) practically invulnerable to cold, I would wager the toughest plant in my whole bog, even more reliable that S.purpurea ssp. purpurea

Back