What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata question:

Fryster

--Freedom Czar--
How long does it take the multi-fork D. binatas to produce their multi-fork leaves?

I ask this because of the two D. binata multifida’s I’ve purchased from different online vendors, both turn out single-forked leaves (T-form).

I’ve grown these young plants for a year now and no multi-fork leaves.

Does it take several years to produce multi-fork leaves or what? ???

AND, what about the ‘Marston Dragon’ hybrid? Several years on this one as well??

***I’d love to find this hybrid, I hear it is a vivacious grower.
thumbs_up.gif

I'm not sure we're dealing with time, per se, but more being a function of having decent growing conditions that are stable. So maybe a good year for a plant to mature, plus several months of good lighting and not being moved around.

I’ve grown these young plants for a year now and no multi-fork leaves.
How small are you talking about?

I've got some mature plants overwintering in the basement under weak lights and they have multiple prongs. However, I have trouble believing that 2 different nurseries hosed you. The fact that you're saying that they're still 'young'plants makes me believe that you haven't given the plants good growing conditions and let them mature...

If possible, acclimate to outside full sun in the spring and they'll probably have mature growth in a month.

How small are you talking about?
The fact that you're saying that they're still 'young'plants makes me believe that you haven't given the plants good growing conditions and let them mature...

Well, that's what I am thinking too. That's why I stated that they're young plants.

Hard to guess their age... I can make a guess on VFT's by the size of their bulbs but with a stringy mess (roots) like binata it is kinda difficult to gauge accurately.

The oldest one (I'm guessing...) is 2-3 years old perhaps? ??? The babe binatas (from root cuttings) are single fork too. (but they're young of course...)

They all get good light and growing conditions. (growrack with T5's) Color up nicely and are consistently dewy. They throw up forks left & right yet never a hint of a multi-fork.... :(

That's why I thought age might be an issue. Either that or the vendors sent me mis-identified plants.

***Andrew, are you gonna carry D. binatas?? ;)

I got a binata from Jefforever and it only forked once and then in about a week or two it started forking multiple times,maybe it's your conditions.
binata.jpg

DSCF2280.jpg

My multifidia goes from fork to multible forks depends on the light and temps.

Yeah just make sure you have the right lighting and temperature than you should have no problem growing em.

Even my seed grown D. binata multifida extrema plants have multiple forks after the first season. D. binata dichotoma leaf cuttings started to make their 4 point leaves in their second season as well. In fact every D. binata form I have started producing multi point leaves by the start of the second season. If this is the start of your second season I would suspect that you will have multi-points this spring.

Good luck
Steve

I got some mis-labeled plants then. 'cause my older one should be putting out multi-forks by now.........

Oh well, guess I'll have to try another different vendor.

(unless someone has some root cuttings they wanna give me) ;)

I got some mis-labeled plants then. 'cause my older one should be putting out multi-forks by now.........

Oh well, guess I'll have to try another different vendor.

(unless someone has some root cuttings they wanna give me) ;)

I wouldn't say that... You have to remember that my conditions are VASTLY different than yours. I live in a climate that seems tailor made for D. binata forms. Just because my plants do what they do does not mean that yours will follow suit. Give em a chance and see what they do when they really get going this spring. I am sure that its still pretty chilly, especially overnight, in Mi. compared to California.

Steve

Young multifidas usually look like regular binata for a while. They need to get older and bigger before you see multiple forks.

Back