What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pygmy sundew question

i was curious if anyone knew which pygmy sundews could grow outside(zone 9) in a mini bog along with the sarracenias? i know some require a winter dormancy and if i kept it outside would it just go into dormancy itself?

thanks,
~b

a wide variety of pygmies could work for that, easiest probably being the pygmaea, pulchella, scorpiodes, etc.
Yes, if the appropriate conditions are given to them during the summer- i.e. dry soil, high heat, etc.- then they will go into dormancy by themselves.
I have heard you can prevent this by always keeping the soil wet and not letting it dry out, but I haven't had any personal experience with this.
good luck w/ your bog.

D. nitidula x pulchella would be a good one to try.

Pygmies go dormant in the summer? Mine usually die or go dormant after producing gemmae, but by spring, they're in full growth.

Pygmies drosera go dormant in the summer. This is triggered by hot dry weather. Mine are usually dormant for about a month and then they start growing again. If you notice that they seem to stop growing (putting out new leaves) and have formed a small cone of silvery hairs in the center of the plant, then it's dormant or about to be dormant. Cut back on watering, keeping the soil dry on the surface but just moist underneath until they start growing again. Some people have problems with mold killing them during dormancy because they keep them too wet and have a high humidity, I don't though, as the humidity in Colorado is fairly low most of the time. My suggestion is plant some gemmae in pots and the rest outside to see how they do. If for some reason the ones outside die off, you can wait till fall when your potted ones produce gemmae, and resow them outside. Pygmies in general are pretty hardy and can take an occasional mild frost or freeze. I woke up one morning last Fall and found the temp was ~28°F and my D. scorpioides under a couple inches of snow. Lost a couple of plants in both my scorpioides pots, but the majority survived unscathed.

I only have troubles with getting D. scorpioides & heterosepala through the summer, but BCK's advice will correct that. Anything that has nitidula in it seems to do well no matter what. So do callistos, palacaea, pulchella, and Lake whatever.

i believe the word you're reaching for is Badgerup :p

I also have Lake Carburup.

IMG_0036-1.jpg
carburup

IMG_0038-1.jpg
badgerup

Back