What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. cistiflora "Purple flower"

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Wish I had been able to catch the true colour of the bloom. It is a much deeper purple than these pics depict (not this bright fuchsia)

P3270004.jpg

P3270005.jpg

P3270001.jpg

P3270002.jpg

P3270003.jpg

P3270008.jpg

P3270007.jpg

P3270006.jpg

The one I got from you has just starting to climb. Maybe I'll get a flower too.

Wow, Pyro, you have some the best plants. How long have you grown carnivorous plants?

Is this plant hard to grow? I remember reading somewhere that it does best in cooler conditions, which I tend to never have :-))

Trek,

I have been in the hobby 8 years or so but only been "serious" for the las 5 or 6. Basically since I moved to Atl.

Gecko,

Personally, I find it pretty easy to grow but I have years of experience and trial and error under my belt. If I had to give it an absolute classification (beginner vs. experienced, vs. expert/professional) I would put it in the experienced category. It takes a little work, especially getting it through dormancy, but once you get the hang of it it is fairly easy. Being a winter grower it does prefer cooler temps but I have had some that grow on well into summer here in Atl which is pretty toasty.

It almost looks like a venus flytrap flower, minus the white color of course. Really nice sundew.

Very nice job Travis, as usual. This is surely one of my favorite Drosera species. I found a picture of my plant from last year. Follow this link to see it. It is just finishing flowering right now and is twice this size..
Hope you enjoy!

http://community.webtv.net/Philcula/Droseracistiflora

This really is a very easy plant to grow...once you get the dormancy thing down and believe me I've tried many times over until I got it right. I believe this plant is around 7 years old in this pic.

Thanks for the comments Phil :)

Great photo too, much better capture of the colour than mine. Can not wait for mine to get as productive as yours.

It almost looks like a venus flytrap flower, minus the white color of course. Really nice sundew.

Actually, now that this is mentioned... It does.
Join my theory that Drosera Cistiflora is actually a mutant VFT exposed to large amounts of radiation!!! :boogie:

Back