What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pests on my D. Capnenis

laxgoal

I Like Watching Things Grow...
Ok, so i just noticed these tiny white bugs on the stalk part of my D. Capnesis. They are too small to take pictures of but it is growing out of some U. Sandersonii. It seems like they are ruining the health of the plant... I'm super new to CP's, I have no clue what to do!

CAPNESISISISI006.jpg

they are visible in that photo on the large drosera. please help me identify theses!

they look to me like very small mealy bugs, scale, or possibly very opaque aphids. (See if you can get a positive I.D. by looking up pictures, since you can see the critters better then I can.)
Use some kind of non-metal based insecticide on them, if the plants are to delicate to just pick the bugs off of. Metal based pesticides will harm you plants.
Likewise, never use any soap based product.

One popular option is Neem oil, although I use a sulfur based Safers brand solution.
The Savage Garden suggests the following insecticides, if you have them or can get them at nearby stores: Diazinon, Malathion, Orthene, or wettable powder Sevin.

ok, thanks. do you think that they laid eggs and could spread. cause i have other plants in the same area and i do not want those spreading. So picking them off with tweezers would work?

Isolate the plant from the others if possible, until you can resolve the problem.
Picking them off would work if you can put aside to time to inspect every little crevice on the plants leaves, and base for bugs or eggs. If it is aphids, the females are born pregnant (go figure ???), and can give birth to live young.
Just be VERY thorough with your inspections, since even one missed insect could lead to the re-population of an infestation

Edit: If the infested plant has been near or touching other pots for awhile, you might also want to inspect the pots near it for any signs of the insects.

Good luck.
-Justin

You could probably just immerse the pot and plants under water for a couple days. If immersion harms D. capensis then perhaps you've found a way to control them. Terrestrial Utricularia will tolerate flooding and may even enjoy it.

Back