What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. prolifera not doing so hot?

Heya :)

I have a D. prolifera that I got a few months ago in a trade, I figured it would be settled in and growing by now but it's definitely failing to thrive. The leaves are growing in excruciatingly slowly, and a few of the ones that it's put out have died. It's in pure LFS and I've tried 2 different kinds of light, both direct and fairly indirect (center and edge of my growing area) but neither seems to have made a difference. I keep it pretty soggy, as I do for all my carnivores- it's usually soaked though it has had a few drier (though not DRY) spells recently since I ran out of dH2O a few times. Is there a trick to these guys that I'm missing, or does it just not like me??

Thanks!

I keep mine on a shelf below trays of Sarracenia so the light is less for sure. For media, I have the top portion where the plant is in Live sphagnum, and the bottom half of the pot is perlite. I top water often. The plant is also in the path of my swamp cooler... So the temps are cooler here than the rest of my generally warm green house. This was about 20 days ago, I now have 3 flowers on the plants.

P1010481.JPG

good luck!
Andrew

I grow my mother plants right under a couple of flourescent tubes, with light from the window sill. These plants don't seem to mind bright conditions.

I make sure the water level is somewhat low and I believe it may lead to flowering. These guys seem to flower constantly.

The one and only plant I had did well in our closet, under artificial lighting. It got a good 12 hour photoperiod. I had a mix of sand and peat with a layer of LFS on top. I watered maybe once a week.

IMG_0216.jpg

Heya :)
Is there a trick to these guys that I'm missing, or does it just not like me??

Thanks!
Humid highland conditions w/ moderate lighting in pure LFS. When you've got the conditions even close to what they like, they will send out their runners (w/ flowers) constantly. Each one will produce a new plant if you stick it somewhere wet. One went up against the glass with condensation on it - soon had a rooted plantlet trying to grow on the glass....

Back