What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. filiformis questions

thbjr

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap
OK, here ICPS mentions "two taxonomically recognized varieties. Drosera filiformis var. filiformis (and) Drosera filiformis var. tracyi". Then it goes on to talk about varities in cultivation like the "Giant" and the "Florida all red".
It also states that the "Florida All Red" variety does not go dormant. So, my first question is is there a 'red' variety that does go dormant? I recieved a filiformis marked 'red'. It is defefantly dormant with a hibernacula, but before it went dormant I took some leaf cuttings and this is the result.

DSCI0083.jpg

Now in all honesty, the parent plant was green when I got it and went dormant within weeks, but when I took the leaf cutting, I cut the leaves into 1" pieces and used the 'floating' method. Well within 24 hours, the cutting turned a deep red, just like the new babies are.
Is this a filiformis var. filiformis period?
Thanks,
Tom

It depends on the individual plant with the "Florida All Red":

ICPS said:
If you want to grow D. filiformis in a terrarium, it is best to grow the D. filiformis var. filiformis "Florida All Red" form. The seeds germinate without stratification and most of the plants don't go dormant. This plant may be grown outdoors in summer but needs to be in a warm greenhouse or other warm location during the winter if they don't form hybernacula. Select the plants that don't form hybernacula for your terrarium and grow the ones that do outside with your other D. filiformis. In a terrarium the "Florida All Red" form won't develop the deep red color it would in full sun outdoors. This plant does well in 100% peat and kept wetter than other D. filiformis when growing.(emphasis mine)

From what I've heard, there are two varieties from Florida that are red (a very miniscual difference in the name): Drosera filiformis "Florida Red" (needs dormancy) and Drosera filiformis "Florida All-Red" (does not need dormancy). I have the "Florida All-Red" variety.
Like you mentioned, it could be one of the typical varieties. I've never grown the typical varieties of Filiformis and they do have a darker-red coloration. I'm not sure though...

Thanks NaN, I guess I just didn't read it carefully enough. So it appears I have one of the 'Florida All Red' ('Florida Red' according to CP) that goes dormant.

Some of the stuff on the ICPS website has not be updated to what people have later discovered.

Both red forms from FL have the capability of forming hibernicula. It is just that in their native habitat conditions are such that they can avoid that process. Whole plants that have been removed from the sites (legally) can and will go dormant under the proper conditions.

I actually have both but the Florida one is a recent addition. So I can't speak for that one. The other does go dormant. It has come back from hibernaculum for me these past 3 winters. What I would do is treat the Florida version in similar to a D. Marston Dragon x Multifida Extrema - don't keep as cold a straight up D. binata, but do reduce the temps to the 50's or even 40's for the winter, along with allowing a normal seasonal photoperiod.

I once saw an old thread here agreeing w/ what Pyro said. As long as temps are kept high enough, the Drosera filiformis "Florida All Red" form will not go dormant, but if left outside in the cooler months, it will form the hibernacula. There was a picture of this, but I can't find the thread :(

Is it possible the red form you have is a hybrid between Drosera filiformis var. filiformis and Drosera filiformis "Florida All Red"? This would mean it inherited the red trait/no need of stratification from the "Florida All Red" form and the dormancy requirements from the typical Filiformis form. Just my guess---could be completely wrong...

I think I would play it safe and let anything that can go dormant simply go dormant.

Better to give a plant rest than to tire it out and have it perish on you.

I did let it go dormant. Here is a general time line. I recieved the plant in early Dec/07. Took cuttings in late december as shown here. By late Jan/08 it was forming its hibernacula. It was always in a terrarium with temps running from 65 night to 85 day. 12 1/2 hours light from the day I got it until last Sunday, when I increased the photo period to 16 hours.
Now given those temps in the terrarium, it would seem to indicate that it was the photo period that triggered dormancy and not temps. But having said that, the day legnths in Florida certainly get shorter than 12.5 hrs and the temps certainly get below 65/85 in the winter. This is confusing... or perhaps it's just not a 'Florida' variety. Will filiformis var. filiformis grow red cuttings?
Tom

I have a Florida red leaf cutting that sprouted in 4 places... so yeah!

Tom,

While the temps in FL may indeed reach lower than 65/85 the sites where these plants grow are fed by perpetual springs and the water seeping up from them is stable year round. As such the plants growing in these areas are provided with a perpetually stable temperature.

Back