What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new plant :D

after buying two VFT and getting slightly addicted i decided to go out and buy a different type of carnivoras plant. Also thought this would take care of any little fruit flies that might happen to trigger a big trap on the VFT. dont wana waste a big trap on a tiny fly :p

Its a Drosera Capensis "Alba"

plants008.jpg

Not sure what plant is growin around the Drosera but thought it looked good? and shouldnt it help prevent moss growing on the soil?

Nice moss! And CP!
I don't think the moss will cause any problems so just leave it be.

- MasterGrower

Prevent moss? That IS moss, but, you needn't worry, as you said, it looks good and does NOT harm the plant.

thanks people...fungus i ment lol not moss. (the white fluffy stuff)

do you recon it would be benefitial to put some of that moss in the VFT pot as it would help prevent any bad fungus from growing?

I'd lose that moss. Just pull it out manually.

I agree with Jimscott and I would remove that moss, too. It becomes invasive and can make it difficult to get water to the roots of your drosera.

I have to say i would leave the moss. If the plant were a slow growing or small Drosera i might remove it so it does not suffocate the plant but the capensis will definately be able to compete with it. I try and grow moss in my pots, it prevents accidentally washing out soil from watering mistakes and prevents slime and other fungus which can quickly kill even strong plants. The only problem i could see is watering and i use the tray method so the moss doesnt matter. When you repot your plants will be a little elongated but capensis are really easy and will perk up quickly. I also think it looks nicer than dirt.

I have to say i would leave the moss. If the plant were a slow growing or small Drosera i might remove it so it does not suffocate the plant but the capensis will definately be able to compete with it. I try and grow moss in my pots, it prevents accidentally washing out soil from watering mistakes and prevents slime and other fungus which can quickly kill even strong plants. The only problem i could see is watering and i use the tray method so the moss doesnt matter. When you repot your plants will be a little elongated but capensis are really easy and will perk up quickly. I also think it looks nicer than dirt.

i have to say i totally agree with you lol... but thanks for all your feedbacks...

i was curious as to if the moss would help prevent fungus infections so i guess this is the answer...iv placed a bit on my VFT pot to help prevent fungus growing as well..

i also use the tray method and all my plants are benefiting from it and growing rather fast and well..

If you want to get rid of that moss, throw it in a ziplock bag and send it to me =)

Back