What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ive got several droseras and im pretty new to growing them. Ive been keeping them in a terrarium under a light in a 78-82 degree room and they did seem to be doing pretty well. What I have is d. capensis, d. adelae, d. burmannii, d. madagascariensis, and d. binata. The binata and capensis and the madagascariensis looked like it was doing very good, putting up new leaves and everything but the ends of the old leaves and the the new ones are dying off. The adelae is doing the best out of them all, seems to be growing fast. Is there somewhere else I can grow the ones that are not doing too well, maybe a windowsill? Would any of these grow outside year round here in east TN, zone 7?

What sort of light do you have in your terrarium?

xvart.

Low humidity maybe?

They all are in a tray of water. The terrarium is on its side and the side is covered with saran wrap with only about an inch of space to allow for air. Should I cover the whole opening, would it help?

What sort of light do you have in your terrarium?

xvart.

Its an extra aquarium light I had laying around.

Last edited by a moderator:
covered with saran wrap with only about an inch of space to allow for air.

Might want to make it bigger. A thing they need is air circulation, especially Nepenthes (if you ever grow them).

Might want to make it bigger. A thing they need is air circulation, especially Nepenthes (if you ever grow them).

Thats the only thing I changed, the old cover had more space to allow for air but didnt stay on so I put more on. Ill try and open it up a bit more. My Nepenthes are next to a huge window and seem to be doing very well, had my first new pitcher open up yesterday.

Thats the only thing I changed, the old cover had more space to allow for air but didnt stay on so I put more on. Ill try and open it up a bit more. My Nepenthes are next to a huge window and seem to be doing very well, had my first new pitcher open up yesterday.

Oh, windowsill is fine. Congrats on the pitcher, what kind was it?

the capensis will grow just about anywhere you can move it out of your terrarium if you want and grow it in on a window it will grow in terrariums windows greenhouse and even though it's tropical it can be grown outside during winter just don't let it's roots freeze.

Oh, windowsill is fine. Congrats on the pitcher, what kind was it?

It was just a ventricosa. Its my first nepenthes so Im pretty happy about the new pitcher. Ive got a ventrata thats starting a new pitcher also.

I have them all and they all grow well on south facing window sills, open tray method. Here's proof:

D_binata.jpg

Drosera_capensis.jpg

AF002301.jpg

AF002201.jpg

AF001101.jpg

These are pictures taken in a supply room at a lab I worked for, a few years ago.

Will any of these grow outside here during the warmer months?

Will any of these grow outside here during the warmer months?

The capensis will be able to, but it depends on where you live. The others, I have no experience with.

The capensis will be able to, but it depends on where you live. The others, I have no experience with.

I live in East TN, zone 7.

I think it can, then again, it is a capensis.

Should I place it in full sun?

Back