What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fryster

--Freedom Czar--
What are some of the concerns and issues growing Woolly Sundews?

Some CP books I have and even online resources happen to contradict one another on cultivation of these unusual and temperamental Dews.

Specifically I want to try growing D. lanata, D. falconeri, D. paradoxa and D. kenneallyi.

I’d like to hear from successful growers with their personal experience and advice.

Media, watering, temperature, humidity etc.

Thanks, :)

I got one D. falconeri about 2 years ago. I had it growing with my highlanders and when it got too cold it looked really bad. So not too long ago I moved it under 2 23 watt cf's where I grow my seeds and it just took off with the warmer temps. I would say keep them no lower then 75 at night. Mine is still in the 3in pot of peat moss and perlite I got it in. That's how I grow mine.

JMurphy has pretty much summed it up. These sundews require constant warm temperatures, so if you can only provide a highland environment, I'd try a different plant. I was told that they also don't like to be kept too wet, but from my experience, they don't seem to have any problem sitting in water for long periods of time. I'll usually let the tray sit dry for a few days before watering again, just to be sure. I keep a D. kenneallyi in a lowland-style terrarium with N. bicalcarata, N. albomarginata, C. follicularis, and D. indica. Temperatures usually hover in the 80s during the day and stay in the 70s at night. All the plants do really well in there.

I'm growing a paradoxa with my highlanders just like JM. Mine is doing -okay- and making pups but still seems to resent me. My thought of the culprit condition would be the temperature drop at night. I hope to have a lowland setup going at some point and would like to test out that theory.

-Nate

No it was bad when I was growing it with highlanders. Now I'm growing it with seeds where is warmer. I usually water when the tray dries up. Mine are getting really red and dewy. It's a nice plant when grown right.

Back