What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grow conditions for sundews?

What do the following sundews like for growing conditions (humidity and temperature):

D. Capensis
D. Madasgariensis
D. Adelea
D. Binata

Thanks

-Ryan

What form of capensis? the red form prefers it more warm and moist and the rest do well with cool moist conditions but it really doesn't matter capensis is so easy to grow.
binata is rather easy just like capensis
adelae I owed all my success on growing them to my ten gallon, thought they had to have high humidity. well I moved them to my four foot and they didn't even lose their dew. higher humidity is good but it doesn't have to be insanely high adelae give it bright diffused light not full sun. I have never grown madagascariensis.

I grow all those at room temperature (ranging from 60 - 75 degrees Fahrenheit) with room humidity (ranging from 50%-80%) and they grow wonderful. Just put them on a windowsill or under lights (or maybe even outside as long as you acclimate them and the temperatures don't go below about 50 degrees) and they will do fine!

The species you listed are pretty easy to grow... if you grow indoors, do so under either FL or a windowsill. You can also use the water tray method for each of those... give the D. adelae enough light and it will turn a nice red for you.

i throw all my dews outside for full sun in the minibog and they're still alive and gets dewy. my adelae is there too and it produces red leaves and red hairs but not too much dew, but definitely growing.

~b

They're all great window sill or under artificial lighting plants. D. binata can take the most amount of cold and the only one that has a true dormancy. D. capensis can take more cold than the other two but not lika binata and doesn't require a dormancy. I have my capensis and binatas outside for the spring through part of fall, but will keep the D. mad... and adelae at the window sill. some quick pics:

IMG_0047-1.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

D_binata.jpg

dscn0186.jpg

Strausplants0221.jpg

Strausplants0211.jpg

s_Wed_084.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

ohoh............

Jim's "vile thingies" are back! ;)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/jimscott/IMG_0014.jpg

Rofl

Every time I see that picture I can't help but think of a group of white coats doing genetic experimentation to create some kind of mutant plant.

To the topic, I have an adelae and a red & typical capensis - they're in a terrarium with an average of 80 degrees and 80-90% humidity under 6500K GE 40W fluorescent lighting. They're thriving nicely.

Back