What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fork Leaf Sundew Dormancy?

theyellowdart

sea bear returns!
Ok, I've seen this same question debated a few times, and wanted to know what some of the people here think.

Does Drosera Binata, or any fork leaf sundew, need a dormancy period? ...Or will they be fine without one?

I've seen some people grow them indoors on grow racks year round, and some grow them outdoors year round.
I really have no idea. Right now mine is growing outdoors in full sun and thriving.

So what do you think?

I never knew it was debatable..
I have always heard and read that they do need a dormancy..

but some crusing around the internet shows that some varieties can maybe go without dormancy..

personally, I wouldnt risk it..
IMO getting a winter dormancy is much safer than not giving the plant a dormancy..

my big D. binata clump has gone into the same dormancy as my VFTs and Sarracenia for 10 years now..its healthy and happy.

They are native to SE coastal Australia and all of New Zealand, which get a definite cold winter season..

IMO, if in doubt, dormancy = yes..
much safer than dormancy = no.

Scot

According to the Savage Garden, Drosera multifida and multifida 'Extrema' do not require dormancy.

My D. Binata didn't get dormency for two years and it's thriving...

I've been growing D. binata multifida extrema and D. binata "T form" for several years without dormancy. It think D. binata is one of those plants that has a weak dormancy requirement.

Do what works for you but all mine go through the same dormancy as the vfts. (same as scottychaos) They flower and seem to thrive. Indoors, reduced photoperiod and temps in the lower 50's all winter is how I do it.

its up to you i think. if it starts goin dormant then let it do so but if not then let it grow. :D

binata will not(in my experience) for hibernacula. it will die from the top and come back from the roots. the thinker the root system and bigger the pot. the more likely it will survive winters. but i dont know if it required or not.

Alex

Back