What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera slackii growers

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I have a few Drosera slackii plants.

My main pot with 3 plants is growing in my terrarium. The plants here are growing great.
I had some left over that I potted up and placed on the windowsill to see how they will do. Since I grow many other Drosera this way I thought it would be no problem for this one as well. They have been there for several months. I have noticed that these plants are not doing well at all.
I'm trying to see what might be the problem and if others have experienced the same.
Questions I'm going to try to answer myself, and curious what others have found are:

Does this plant require more humidity then many other Droersa? The humidity in the terrarium is not that much higher the on the windowsill, so I'm not sure that is the issue.

The soil I grow this plant is the same in both pots, so I doubt that's it.

Lighting......, this may be an issue. The ones on the windowsill only gets bright indirect light where I have them located now. I may move a pot or 2 to a better location and see how they respond.

Does anyone else grow them as windowsill plants and how have they done there?

I have only ever been successful with this plant as a highlander in live sphag. Beyond that I can noffer up nothing to help you

Mine grow very very steadily. I broke off the growing tip once and it came right back.

I've never tried growing it in lower humidity. Why not just leave it in the terrarium?

I find they are not particularly picky regarding humidity, but they need ALOT of light to prosper. For me they look their best in as much direct sun as I can give them. Some other South African species when grown in the same conditions struggle (eg- D. aliciae, dielsiana, cuneifolia, etc.). Species such as D. admirabilis and rubrifolia seem to grow well with my D. slackii.

I HAD a slackii. One my most beloved plants. Had it for a good long while and then it expired. I don't know why. It's a really beautiful plant and I wish it were more commonly available. It was growing in my tank along with my other Drosera.

PAK,
It is a very pretty plant.
Here's a picture of the pot of D. slackii growing in the terrarium.

Dslackii.jpg

I moved 1 of the extra D. slackii pots outside a short time ago. So far it is no worse then when it was on the windowsill, in fact it may be a little better. I think I'll move the others outside as well.

Nice plants!

You should keep a couple safe & sound, indoors.

It is one of the more beautiful species of Drosera. Here grown in a 7 inch pot.

Droseraslackii.JPG

Back