What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. filiformis FL giant

I'm thinking of getting this plant along with some other plants from Andy (not sure when, but soon hopefully). I've been hearing that this plants needs dormancy and at the same time it doesn't. So does it need it or not?

Ps: Little off topic here, but can Sarrs happily go dormant in Zone 8-9?

yep, they require a dormancy

and I think Sarras will hapily go dorminant in those zoness

yep, they require a dormancy

and I think Sarras will hapily go dorminant in those zoness

Ok, seeing that they grow in someplace in Florida, it shouldn't be a problem going dormant here. Good to know that Sarrs will go dormant here, that's a relief :D! Thank you.

From my understanding of it, D. filiformis Fl. giant does not REQUIRE dormancy but will go dormant if given the conditions to do so. I also would guess Sarracenia will do fine there.

PS Why do you have your location set as Antarctica if you're in Florida?

Continental drift?

From my understanding of it, D. filiformis Fl. giant does not REQUIRE dormancy but will go dormant if given the conditions to do so. I also would guess Sarracenia will do fine there.

I believe this is a matter of confusing the 2 different forms of filiformis ssp. filiformis which are found in FL

The FL Giant clone does require a dormancy.

The FL red clone does not require a dormancy but will go dormant if the conditions are such that will trigger it.

I grow both in my bog here in Atlanta and they go dormant during the winters here.

Yep, Pyro is correct. I guess it is common for these to be mixed up :blush: Here is what I just found on the ICPS site after some searching...

There are additional varieties of Drosera filiformis in cultivation such as the "Florida All Red" form of D. filiformis var. filiformis that does not require winter dormancy and makes an excellent terrarium plant. Also from the Florida panhandle is a "giant" form of D. filiformis var. filiformis that is larger than the New Jersey form but smaller than D. filiformis var. tracyi. This has been distributed as D. filiformis var. filiformis "Florida" and D. filiformis "Florida Red". It should not be confused with the "Florida All Red" form as it forms hybernacula and requires a cool dormancy.

Thanks man!

Yep, they definitely will form a hibernaculum. See this thread on my "Florida Giant"

Note: I'm in zone 9-10 everything growing outdoors that should go dormant goes dormant.

Ok, thanks everyone!

Back