What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For the past couple of years I've been trying to germinate Drosophyllum with 0% success. I finally got fed up and sowed them randomly in different plant pots last winter. Well a couple days ago I went outside and noticed something strange in my Ceph pot. I thought it was a weed at first but upon closer inspection, I realized it was actually a dewy pine!

luckyd1.jpg

luckyd2.jpg

Unfortunately it was growing right on top of my ceph so I had to risk separating the two. I carefully slid the soil out of the pot and pulled them off as a chunk but the dewy pine root was very long, even longer than the ceph root and became exposed. I dug a hole in my original dewy pine pot that hadn't been used since I set it up a couple years ago.. :rolleyes: and set him in.

luckyd3.jpg

Well today I went outside and the little seedling had gone limp in the pot so I figured there wasn't much that I could do to save it. I sprayed some water on it and to my surprise a half hour later it was standing up again!

Any tips on keeping this baby alive would be very helpful. I heard they prefer a slight night time drop and since I live in a place with strictly lowland summers, I have it sitting under a tree that filters out only a small amount of sunlight. The soil is a mix of perlite, sand and vermiculite. I'm not sure if I remember correctly but there might be a tiny bit of peat in there too.

Any advice on watering? Does anyone out there use a fertilizer?

Sorry for the long post. ;)

Very nice! You ARE lucky.

I'm not sure how you water it other than the slack potting watering method I'm familiar with.

You shouldn't try to Slack pot it either, you could disturb it too much.

Doesn't El Gecko have a fantastic Drosophyllum somewhere? He'll know.

Congrats on the germination!

As yet, I've had no luck with mine. :(

I think I would have just left it in the pot with the Ceph. They could have "grown up" together and have made a very interesting combination of CP.

That happened to me, once. It came to me by accident when I was visiting elgecko and did a little trading.

Wow, you're one lucky person!

I still managed to kill the seedling - too much tweaking. Lucky and stupid at the same time!

Back