What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frickin' caterpillar

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
So I spot this on one of my Drosera filiformis var tracyi

07030011.jpg

07030012.jpg

I go after it with the trusty forceps and it drops down into the pot and tries to pretend to be a twig (note the silk lifeline going off to the right):

07030013.jpg

I'll spare you the decapitation and feeding to my Sarracenia rosea but here's some of the damage. It also chewed up the flower buds. No seeds this time around :(

07030014.jpg

I'm sorry to hear that. That's some nasty damage. Too bad it got to the flower buds, too.:-(

i dont like bugs that does harm to plant. i had to drown all my sundew to try to get rid of pest... they just got out the water, looked like its almost dead. but not yet.

That's a shame. Sorry to hear it hurt your plant :( Stupid bug!

.....when the bugs fight back.

Coming to a theatre near you. ;)

I hate the munching bugs too. GRRRRRR!

Last year & the year before I had some caterpillars set up shop inside Sarr blooms. Naturally, the seed heads were destroyed by the time I realized all was not well. So far, this year vigilance has been a tad better (for the caterpillars at least!). <knocks on wood>

Sorry to see you get no seeds. At least you'll have revenge on it.

Come mid-summer all of the plants on my patio become covered in green caterpillars. The CPs tend to be mostly avoided in favor of my vegetables. All of this said, for the past few years I've started to feed the larvae to my CPs. S. purpureae seem to do the best because the larvae are drowned, but VFTs do OK too. Results are mixed on other sarracenia, as the larvae have a tendency to start eating them as well :)

pick it up and drop it by some other leafy plant.

the caterpillar was only trying to get a bite to eat.

Back