What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
A friend recommended that I make a thread explaining how I successfully got a couple of D. kennealyii leaves to strike floating in water. Here are some shots of some successful leaf pullings from my D. kennealyii.

Setup on glass aquarium top under T5 lighting.
P1010610.jpg

A small D. kennealyii strike
P1010613.jpg

Showing both strikes and a leaf that hasn't rotted nor struck yet. The picture didn't turn out too well.
P1010614.jpg

Newly taken D. faloneri cuttings. They somewhat curled up on me. I don't think it will affect anything though.
P1010615.jpg

I took the leaf cuttings in a very scientific way, I plucked the leaves right off. I made sure to get part of the petiole like you do with VFTs and Ping pullings. If the Petiolaris complex is anything like Pings in regard to pullings, stressed plants have a higher fail rate than acclimated plants (in my experience and in my conditions). By this I mean when I get new pings I try to get leaf pullings from them while potting them up. If the plants are real stressed, wilting leaves etc, only a couple leaf pullings strike for me while a healthy happy plant, almost if not all of the pullings make it. I think that's why only two leaves struck from the kennealyiis. I took all the pullings before potting them up after receiving them. I just took some from my D. faloneri a couple days ago. It's a more established plant. I'm hoping to get at least one strike from the 4 complete pullings that I took. I say 'complete' because some of the leaves broke without taking the petiole, but I went ahead and got the rest of the leaf anyway. I can see tweezers making it a bit easier to help prevent the leaves from breaking. Once pulled, the leaves went into a little container of rain water. The water gets changed about once a week, or if I start to notice algae particles it gets changed sooner. The container is not covered. The lighting is by the T5 fixture that's over my 55 gallon aquarium. The container is elevated a little by two small pot saucers. The container is almost right up against the top of the light. The light puts off quite a bit of heat, the temps are around 97-100 degrees. Night time temps drop down to room temperature, somewhere around 75 when the lights are off.

I potted up the strongest strike just a couple of days ago. The other strike began to decline. I'm not sure if it's rot or if it's being attacked by algae. I rinsed it and placed it back into a cleaned container of rain water.
P1010631.jpg

Here's a shot of the entire tank:
P1010619.jpg

D. kennealyii finally starting to make some dew. My camera washed out some of the color, my apologies.
P1010623.jpg

D. paradoxa hybrid, same with this one, it's much more pink.
P1010627.jpg

D. falconeri doing something. I moved it out of the container into the 'dry' side because I thought it was going dormant; it stopped growing. A few days later it was putting off leaves again so I moved it back.
P1010625.jpg

That's my small woolly collection.

Enjoy,
Crystal

That's my small woolly collection.

you call that small? lol

very nice picture btw.

Great cultivation! I'm trying to coax my D. kenneallyis back into shape but there not looking to good. Thats really neat how you got them to strike under lights. I tried the same thing with D. lanata and no luck. Something about the wooliness of D. lanata holds it back with that technique. However, I had some luck by slicing one D. lanata plant into 4 different sections making sure that each section had some roots. This allowed me to go from one plant to 4. You may have seen this but there some good reading from others on wooly propagation here:

http://icps.proboards105.com/index.cgi?board=drosera&action=display&thread=1096

Looks like you could teach all of us something. You've got some pretty plants there. I'm envious. Petiolaris do like to be hot. I got mine to flower by putting them outside in this 100 degree NC weather.

Good Growing

Thank you for sharing! I'm considering that with the keneallyi and lanata. It looks like your keneallyi has redness toward the crown of a few leaves. The one I have also has that. Is that normal?

upper,

Thank you for the compliments! My collection is quite small compared to some as I only have three varieties :). They are so hard to get a hold of!

DroseraBug,

Thank you! These plants can be quite tricky. They can also be quite rewarding when their needs are met! You are much braver than I am with slicing the lanata, glad to hear it worked out for ya. Thank you for think link. I had read through it awhile ago, and looked back through it last night. I had forgotten or simply missed some of the information.

Looks like you could teach all of us something. You've got some pretty plants there. I'm envious. Petiolaris do like to be hot. I got mine to flower by putting them outside in this 100 degree NC weather.

I still have quite a bit to learn myself, thank you for the compliments! I'm tempted to stick one of my kennealyiis outside to see how it likes it, since our weather is the same. Haven't gotten around to it yet though. I didn't mention the conditions of my terrarium. The temperature stays around the mid 90's sometimes going up near 100. Humidity should be quite high, around 85 during the day the last time I checked.

Jim,

No problem! I'm honestly not sure if the redness around the crown is normal or not. It's attractive either way! When it comes to normal and these plants....who knows!

Quick update:

I checked on my D. falconeri pullings last night. Two of them have already struck in a mere eight days! One already has some growth over the other, so I'm thinking it's at least a couple days old. The other has just formed small nubs. I haven't been paying close attention to the leaves, thinking it was much too early. I guess not!

Here's a quick picture I took. You can see the growth on one leaf, growth on the other can't be seen, too small for my camera.
P1010636.jpg

so cute! the 2 cuttings kinda look like cephs:)

Back