What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arrg, it's not D. brevifolia!

I don't know why I didn't notice it before, but my supposed D. brevifolia now looks more like a D. spatulata. I grew it from seed, and I can't remember from who I got them from.

The reason I think it's not D. brevifolia is because it has a tall flower stalk with small, pink flowers. In pictures I've seen with D. brevifolia, the stalks have been short with large, white flowers.

DSCN6651.jpg

Also, I guess D. brevifolia has more square leaf edges, while mine are spoon shaped. I dunno why I didn't see that before.

DSCN6653.jpg

Unless there is a pink flowered variety of D. brevifolia? :-(

Oh well.

-Ben

I dunno. There's a bunch of pink flowered D. brevifolia photos on BobZ's photo finder:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q113/rivadafe/DbrevifoliaItapirub31.jpg

Your plants do look like D. spatulata and rather large for D. brevifolia but ???

What about the little pup in that pot?

Of course there's always Tamlin's rule of thumb for D. spatulata: "If it looks like D. spatulata..."

They look basically like small D. spatulata. Yours looks great!

Thanks Jim.

Despite the fact that there are pink-flowered varieties, the flower on mine is smaller than a pea, and the one in the picture looks a lot bigger. Plus the stalk isn't as hairy as the one in the pic.

I dunno I just felt like ranting 'cause I'm just really disappointed that it's not D. brevifolia. I spent a lot of time caring for those plants just 'cause I thought they were D. brevifolia, but now they're D. spatulata.

The little pup came up from the roots of one of the plants I thinned out, I think.

-Ben

Ya know what's funny, though? Supposing a D. regia was as easy to come by and cultivate as a D. capensis or D. spatulata or D. binata. And supposing that the afore-mentioned easy ones were especially challenging. We'd all be treating those 3 as precious commodities and be yawning at a D. regia. D. binata is a way cool plant, in of itself, and so are capensis and spatulata... just way too easy... like dandelions and U. subulata.

Back